|Sony VAIO VGN-CS215J/P 14.1-Inch Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 Processor, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, Vista Premium) Pink
|List Price: $949.99
Our Price: $814.98
You Save: $135.01 (14%)
With a CS notebook, you can let your computer do the talking. Why own a stodgy PC that fails to reflect your personality and sense of style? Distinguished by lustrous high-gloss colors that truly make a statement, the CS notebook was designed to fit into and express your style like no other PC can.
Add a zesty style to your mobile computing with the stunning good looks of the Sony VAIO VGN-CS215J/P notebook PC, which offers a high gloss pink coloring and is tricked out with a pair of dynamic LED lights that glow from beneath the front to deliver an ultra-cool effect in a full spectrum of colors as your music plays. This VAIO CS is also a great multimedia companion, enabling you to go straight to your movies, music and photos via an intuitive AV slide control that lets you control your media with the slide of a finger. The touch-sensitive controls have 12 bright LED indicators that light up as you glide your finger to change tracks, scenes or adjust the volume.
The 14.1-inch widescreen display uses Sony's XBRITE-ECO LCD technology so you can see deeper blacks, brighter whites, true-to-life color and razor-sharp detail from almost any angle. Stay connected to colleagues, friends and family at home or on-the-go with real-time video conferencing using the integrated MOTION EYE camera and microphone.
It's powered by the 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor, which boosts speed, reduces power requirements, and saves on battery life. It also offers a fast 800 MHz front-side bus speed and 2 MB L2 cache. It also includes Intel's 5100 AGN wireless LAN, which will connect to draft 802.11n routers and offers compatibility with 802.11a/b/g networks as well. And you can use wireless headsets for video chats and stream music to compatible speakers using the embedded Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity (featuring the A2DP music streaming profile).
Other features include a 250 GB hard drive, 4 GB of 800 MHz RAM (maximizing capacity), dual-layer DVD¡ÀRW drive (which also burns CDs), integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics (with up to 1750 MB of total available video memory), ExpressCard 34 slot, and both Memory Stick and SD memory cart slots. It also comes pre-loaded with the 64-bit version of the Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium operating system.
This Sony notebook is Energy Star 4.0 certified, and has received a Silver EPEAT designation for meeting standards to help reduce its environmental impact. Additionally, it is RoHS-compliant, effectively reducing the environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances.
| Spec Check |
- Color: Pink
- 14.1-inch LCD screen
- 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor
- 250 GB hard drive
- 4 GB RAM (maximum)
- Dual-layer DVD¡ÀR drive
- Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) & Bluetooth 2.1
- Intel 4500MHD graphics (1750 MB shared)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
- Weighs 5.7 pounds
- Processor: The Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor has a 2.0 GHz processor speed, fast 800 MHz front-side bus (FSB), and 2 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
With two computational execution cores in a single processor, it provides greater system response when running multi-threaded applications simultaneously with no significant increase in power consumption. It's optimized for multitasking and is ready to support the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system. It can simultaneously run multiple demanding applications--such as graphics-intensive games or serious number-crunching business productivity applications--while downloading music or running virus-scanning security programs in the background. Some of the advanced Intel innovations of the Core 2 Duo processor include:
- Smart Memory Access: Improves system performance by hiding memory latency, thus optimizing the use of available computer data bandwidth to provide data to the processor when and where it is needed.
- Advanced Digital Media Boost: Effectively doubles the execution speed for instructions used widely in multimedia and graphics applications.
- Dynamic Power Coordination: Coordinates Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology and idle power-management state (C-states) transitions independently per core to help save power.
- Deeper Sleep with Dynamic Cache Sizing: Saves power by flushing cache data to system memory during periods of inactivity to lower CPU voltage.
- Hard Drive: The generous 250 GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 RPM) provides more than enough capacity for storing a large audio and video library, as well as extra space required for video editing. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.
- Memory: The 4 GB of installed RAM (PC6400, 2 x 2 GB) maximizes the capacity of this notebook, and it also offers an ultra-fast 800 MHz speed.
- DVD/CD Drive: The dual-layer DVD drive is compatible with a wide range of formats, including both DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs, CD-RW discs, and dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can hold up to 8.5 GB of data--great for backing up your MP3 collection or your most important documents. It features the following speeds: 4x for DVD+R DL, 4x for DVD-R DL, 8x for both single layer DVD¡ÀR, 8x for single layer DVD+RW, 6x for single layer DVD-RW, 5x for DVD-RAM, and 24x/16x for CD-R/RW. It reads DVD-ROM discs at 8x and CD-ROMs at 24x.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a standard 82-key keyboard with a 2mm stroke and 18.05mm pitch as well as an electro-static touchpad. Control your music and movies with a slide of your finger using the touch sensor A/V slide control. You can control media playback as well as volume.
Screen, Video & Audio
The Sony VAIO CS in pink.
You'll enjoy razor-sharp graphics and widescreen movies with the 14.1-inch WXGA high-definition screen, with its 1280 x 800-pixel resolution. The XBRITE-ECO technology (with LED backlighting) delivers brilliant colors and stunning clarity with efficient power usage, and it features an anti-reflective coating to minimize reflection and ensure a beautifully clear image from any viewing angle.
Video is powered by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD, which uses shared video memory (up to 1750 MB allocated from the system memory). This graphics card is built with Intel Clear Video technology, which delivers clearer, more detailed images by eliminating many of the jagged edges and video artifacts seen when viewing interlaced content and features powerful color control to ensure videos are not too dark, overly bright, or washed out. It's compatible with external monitor resolutions up to 1920 x 1200.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
Be ready for the next platform in wireless connectivity with the integrated quad-mode Intel Wireless 5100AGN Wi-Fi chip. Based on the draft 802.11n Wi-Fi specification, it offers up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range as existing 802.11g wireless. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and wi-fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). With the Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones as well as enjoy wireless stereo music streaming (thanks to its embedded A2DP profile).
This notebook also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 34 card slot (though no PCMCIA slot), which lets you take advantage of thinner, faster, and lighter expansion cards for even more advanced wireless, networking, storage, and security features. Here's the full list of connectivity options:
- 3 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
- Analog video output: 1 VGA
- 1 ExpressCard/34 slot
- Memory Stick/Memory Stick PRO slot (Standard/Duo) with MagicGate functionality
- Secure Digital memory card slot (compatible with MMC cards)
- 1 headphone jack, 1 microphone jack
- 10/100 Fast Ethernet
- 56K modem (V.92/V.90)
The 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium (with SP1) is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Microsoft Windows Live OneCare anti-virus and recovery (trial version), Microsoft Works SE 9.0, Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student (60-day trial), Sony Click to Disk Editor (CD and DVD burning), VAIO Movie Story (video editing), VAIO MusicBox
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook measures 13.2 x 9.6 x 1.57 inches (WxDxH) and weighs 5.7 pounds.
It's powered by the VGP-BPS13A/R rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of between 1.5 and 4 hours (depending on usage). This laptop is compliant with Energy Star 4.0 specifications, meaning that it uses less power and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by meeting very strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy.
What's in the Box
This package contains the VGN-CS215J/P notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. It is backed by a one-year limited hardware warranty, and Sony offers 1-year of toll-free telephone technical assistance.
- Stylishly designed notebook with graceful curves, pulsating LEDs, and 14.1-inch screen in pink
- 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor, 250 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM (max), 8x multi-format/dual-layer DVD drive
- Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1 connectivity, 10/100 Ethernet, Intel 4500MHD graphics with up to 1750 MB of shared memory
- Connectivity: 3 USB, 1 FireWire, ExpressCard 34 slot, Memory Stick & SD readers, VGA
- Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1, 64-bit) and Sony multimedia software
- Solid Purchase
Made purchase back in February 2009 and very much liking this little Sony, so far. This has fast processing with the 64 Bit T6400 Duo Core 2, 4 GB RAM, and better than average graphics for on board Intel graphics. I'm not a gamer, so can't say in that regard, but for news clips, movies, music video, and MLB live/real-time feed, the graphics provide a good TV quality images on cable ISP. The included useful Sony software makes the purchase all the more attractive. I installed MS Office Small Business 2007 with no problems. A nice machine that has proven to be all I wanted for a travel computer. Would definitely recommend....more info
- Great build quality
The build quality of this laptop is great, much better than the home-grade HPs and Dells I used to use. The laptop is quite fast in spite of a load of Sony bloatware. Windows System Rating in Vista is 3.8, may be because of the lack of a dedicated graphics card. ...more info
- Good stuff!
All expectations done.
The product is really good. A friend of mine bring me this Laptop. It's something we don't have down here.
I recommend....more info
So my boyfriend bought me this laptop three months ago. It had been working just fine and then a few weeks ago it got to where it wouldnt charge. I called customer service and they asked some questions and they said it sounded like the actual jack was messed up. So they mailed me a prepaid box and said they would take care of it. It came with a one year warranty and we bought an extra four years.
So I get a message sayin I have to pay [...] bucks for them to fix it.THATS ALMOST A BRAND NEW ONE! We call and they say that the motherboard is also messed up. Ummm I dont think so! They say my warranty wont pay for it. The tech was supposed to call us and when he finally did he said he found other things wrong with it...like the mouse thing. What???
Then they accuse me of breaking it on purpose and stuff. Who in their right mind would do that? They said they even called and got a "confirmation" that thats what happened? HELLLLOOO? WHAT? Who would they call? LOL....
So they are mailing it back to me....Best Buy said they would fix it for free. I should have just went there to begin with than dealing with crooks like SONY! ...more info
- New Sony Vaio
I really like this laptop. It is lightweight and very easy to configure for initial use....more info
- Very Attractive Looking Laptop, Decent Specs, but not without flaws
What I really did like:
- Touchpad & Keyboard are phenomenal; On par with even Apple's offerings.
- Extremely good looking build & casing. Feels sturdy.
- Bright LCD screen
- Feels lighter than usual for a 14.1' laptop
- Decent specs for work & home (2.0GHz 2xCore, 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2, GMA 45000 HD, 1280 x 800, 800MHz bus, 250GB harddrive)
- Built in MemoryStick reader
What i really didn't like:
- Touch Pad buttons are "clacky" - By this, I mean the click sound is a bit loud.
- Battery life good, but not great.
- Media Key touch sensitivity a bit off at times.
- Sub-par gaming performance; Non-discrete video.
- Ridiculous amount of bloatware that you'll have to remove. Besides the 30 SW packages that Sony provided, there was the Google Toolbar, QuickenBooks, Live OneSupport, MS Works, a trial of MS Office, Roxio, Adobe Air/Flash/Reader, ArcSoft Camera software, WinDVD and about a dozen other things (Java, VC++ Redistributable, MSXML, etc...)
BTW: My purchase was the White version of the same model....more info
- Lovely and stylish laptop!
* Super stylish number with very nice LEDs and a sexy pink color
* Powerful specifications (Intel Core 2 Duo, 250 GB hard drive, DVD writer)
* Fast graphics and wireless connectivity
* Ample USB ports, Firewire
* Solid software because it has 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1
* Not all might like the pink color
* Typing on keyboard gives some noise (not very silent)
* A lot of bloatware - you might want to remove them...more info
- Bloat ware makes using difficult
I bought a sony laptop for my daughter before going to college. It's a great computer BUT the (adware, bloatware, free trial software) is terrible.
As an example the free trial (Adobe pro soft ware)(a program that does not work till you register and pay extra) stopped her from loading (Adobe reader, (a free program)) My daughter needed Adobe reader to get homework assignments. So she had to go to the computer lab.
I will not buy another SONY computer till they stop installing useless, advertising software. ...more info
- the picky buyer :)
this one's a great laptop and was bought after much deliberation and research. let me put this in one word "Great". i have had this laptop for a month now and its been performing awesome.
Looks- it looks pretty (for people who love pink this is a god send)
Sleek and fast - no wonder cuz it has a 4 GB RAM hence at 824 this is a bargain (when i bought it this was around 950 ).i have always worked on XP so the new Vista takes a little time getting used to. but its good and different. the laptop on its own is amazingly fast and the keyboard is fun to work with. it has increased my typing speed :)
will keep you guys posted on how well its functioning after another month or so of use. ...more info
- Horrible Experience with Sony VAIO
After receiving the product less than a week, I couldn't turn the computer on successfully. The black/blank monitor just keeps showing even restarting it for a hundred times. Jesus!! I was very pissed and wanted to throw it away. Then, I decided to call its customer service and received very good assistance. He analyzed that the problem occurred from "Windows malfunction"?!!! How could that ever happen for a brand new computer with 6 days of usage. Anyway, I had to reinstall it to the factory setting for about 2 hours. Plus, all data has been lost for good.
It's been a bad half-day morning without any productive work as I was being stuck with the stupid thing like this.
Oh well, it's my first time with Sony laptop and surely will be my last.
BTW, I also purchased Dell XPS M1330 prior to this like a month ago for my sister. It's been working very nicely. Love it!!...more info
- Worst product in globe
I own this pink sony viao which is one of the worst product I ever seen.
Just wanted to share some facts related to this product dont go with looks as I did same mistake ,It works good for few months then I bet u will have same problem Belive me i send this same Pink color sony vaio laptop to repair center 3 times in 1 year.
However wanted to convey or spread message to all buyers ,friends and collegue not to buy this sony vaio product in your lifetime belive me....more info
- Sony Vaio replacement to an 8yr old Dell, Does the job and than some....
First off let me say I have had a inspiron 8600 Dell for at least 8yrs and its still alive and kicking and still has all my life's files on it (pics, movies, word docs, music etc..) all within a 60gb harddrive. I did however run into a system problem with the cpu beeping and shutting down the computer a couple times which lead me to research into a new laptop.
Now the review. It came down to (after months of research on Core 2 Duo's) the Sony Vaio (which the GF wanted for the fact that it came in white), and my pick again after research the Toshiba Satellite special edition which when compared to the Vaio only differs with the graphics card and bluetooth.
I opted for the Sony Vaio (which by the way is cheaper at your local...Fill in the blank major electronic store). I will say its partly due to the GF's white preference, but don't stop reading here and think its all due to that i did want good, no great specs and not want to buy another computer for at least another 5yrs.
I read many mixed reviews, and i personally got nervous. I wanted a great computer and always have been an XP person. So vista and only having a Dell made this a big purchase. Well i couldn't be happier. The computer is fast as hell, especially through Ethernet (haven't had the time yet to go get a N wireless router which i am excited about) and Vista is surprisingly fun to use. Searching for files etc. is really the only difference I have encountered. I love the 3D window scroll, and I love the new Windows Media experience with MSN live everything (TV, Music, Movies).
People have spoke about bloatware, I don't think there was alot on here to be honest. I am currently using Vaio care, and windows live one (for virus protection). I am also using the preview version of office 2007. Other than that i don't see much on here that's a problem or runs the computer slower. I have disabled the updates after i did all of them so that helps too. The battery isn't bad. On the Vaio power scheme i have it set to balanced and it lasts around 2hrs and 11mins. You can however set the power to max batter which helps it extend to 3hrs, or you can set it to max performance which speeds the computer itself up to max tasks, and windows being opened. I've had at least 10 windows up before and no lag what so ever using balanced power.
The webcam is really cool and makes me laugh at the Mac users who paid $12+ for basically the same computer. The software included can do all kinds of fun things with your image as well as let you record videos.
The keyboard is slick and very easy to type. Easier than my Dell which i find was alot more clacky than this. The touch pad is generic and the touch media controls well i haven't had much use for them but as i have played around with them although cool and different can be sensitive especially the volume (i use the icon to change the volume). The speakers are good, sometimes programs made for dolby make them sound incredible while other at times sound low (it might have to do with the program and dolby compatibility.)
Overall I am very please, everything that i need to do (internet, work with office docs, and pics & music) it does very well. There are some features i have yet to explore but this is a very solid computer and worth the money. Don't waste your time with those watered down netbooks or low priced asus computers with no specs to them. Get a laptop that has what you need in it and more, it will save you the trouble later on.
I gave this a 4 instead of a 5 because of the lower end graphics card (which hasn't been a problem just wish for future things it had the better card) and lack of HDMI (has vga instead). Other than that its a solid notebook that makes a great replacement to my old Dell. ...more info
- Cooler fan noise
I bought one Sony Vaio VGN-CS115D on OCT 2008 and after four months of use it started to make a noise that became worst and worst. Now I am having a problem with the cooler fan and I have to buy one new, because I am not on Canad¨¢ and how is difficult to find the spare fan. I called sony phone and lost a lot of time untill I got the wright sector. Now I am wating the ne cooler fan asn it is suposed to arrive just on 3 weeks....more info