The National Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (NBFAA) recommends these steps for consumers seeking the services of a reputable and experienced burglar & fire alarm installing company.
1. Contact the NBFAA or your state burglar and fire alarm association for a list of member companies in your area. The association's members agree to maintain a high level of conduct under its National Code of Ethics and render services at the highest level of quality.
2. Call several companies. Ask them if their employees are trained and/or certified by the NBFAA.
3. Ask the companies if they have appropriate state and/or local licenses, if required.
4. Ask the companies if they conduct any pre-employment screening.
5. Contact your local police department's Crime Prevention Department, state licensing agencies, Consumer Protection Agencies, and the Better Business Bureau.
6. Ask your insurance agent, friends, family or neighbors for referrals.
7. After you've narrowed the field to three or four alarm companies, ask for the name of the person who will call on you. Consider planning the appointment time when all members of your household are present.
8. When he/she visits, ask to see some company identification.
9. Ask each alarm company representative for an inspection, recommendation and a quote in writing. Use a checklist to compare different packages and price quotes.
10. To learn more about home security systems, call the NBFAA Marketing Department at (301) 585-1855 for a FREE consumer brochure. Or visit NBFAA on the Internet at www.alarm.org.
NBFAA strongly advocates the development and enforcement of effective state licensing laws that require pre-employment background checks, among other measures.