|HP Pavilion DV7-1260US 17.0-Inch Laptop (2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-74 Dual-Core Processor, 4 GB RAM, 400 GB Hard Drive, Blu-ray Drive, Vista Premium)
|List Price: $1187.00
Our Price: $849.94
You Save: $337.06 (28%)
The new dv series is defined by fluid, modern lines and metalized finishes with surprising innovations inside and out. The dv7 series Intersect Imprint features an argyle-like pattern for subtle contrast to the liquid appearance of the metallic finish. And touch media controls light up and become visible only when the system is powered on further enhancing the clean appearance. This notebook has the AMD Turion X2 RM-74 Dual-Core Mobile Processor with 4GB of RAM that enables you to use multiple demanding applications, such as photo editing, DVD burning and playing a game, at the same time. Control content from up to 10 feet away with the HP Mobile Remote Control that can be stored in the ExpressCard slot for convenience. Store all your favorite digital memories such as movies and photos with the huge 400 GB Hard Drive, and get faster backups by connecting an external hard drive through the eSATA port. 17.0 diagonal WXGA+ (1440 x 900) BrightView Widescreen Display Built-in Webcam and Digital Microphone ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics RS780M with up to 1918MB total graphics memory LightScribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+-R/RW Double Layer Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter - MMC, SD, MS, MS Pro, xD ExpressCard 54/34 Slot 3 x USB 2.0, USB2.0/eSATA, 2 x Headphone out; Microphone-in, VGA, HDMI, RJ-11 (Modem), RJ-45 Approximate Unit Dimensions - 15.59 (W) x 11.22 (D) x 1.66 (H) Approximate Unit Weight - 7.7 Pounds
Offering an eye-catching modern look, the entertainment-focused HP Pavilion dv7-1260us notebook PC makes it easy to enjoy your favorite music and videos while on the go, as well as keep you productive with a speedy dual-core processor and 64-bit Windows Home Vista Premium operating system. The 17-inch high-definition BrightView display looks good even in direct sunlight, and the Blu-ray Disc optical drive (read-only) is compatible with the latest high-definition disc standard, enabling you to enjoy movies in crystal-clear resolution. You'll enjoy movies or music in seconds with the external DVD or music buttons to launch HP QuickPlay (which bypasses the boot process). Control playback settings from up to 10 feet away with the included HP remote, then store it conveniently in the Express card slot. Turn your next instant message into a live video chat with the integrated webcam and omni-directional microphone. Optimized for low-light environments, it's great for capturing short videos to share on your favorite social networking site.
It offers dual-core productivity from its 2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-72 processor. HP's ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection locks your 400 GB hard drive into place when it senses abrupt motion to help prevent data loss. The built-in eSATA/USB combo port enables fast backup to an external hard drive. Other features include 4 GB of installed RAM (8 GB maximum), ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics with up to 1918 MB of available memory, dual-layer Lightscribe DVD¡ÀRW drive (which also burns CDs), ExpressCard 54 slot, quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), and 5-in-1 memory card reader.
Expanding on the sophisticated elegance of HP's notebook design from the past few years, the new DV series is defined by fluid, modern lines and metalized finishes. The HP Intersect Imprint finish in bronze and chrome encases all surfaces visible during normal use for greater durability. And the Intersect Imprint features an argyle-like pattern for subtle contrast to the liquid appearance of the metallic finish. The streamlined look is enhanced with a color-matched keyboard and touchpad. And touch media controls light up and become visible only when the system is powered on further enhancing the clean appearance.
| Spec Check |
- 17-inch LCD screen
- 2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-72 processor
- 400 GB hard drive
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB maximum)
- Combo Blu-ray Disc Read-Only and LightScribe DVD¡ÀR drive
- Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics (up to 1918 MB total)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit, SP1)
- Weighs 7.64 pounds
- Processor: The 2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-72 processor offers a dual-core architecture, which delivers additional computing resources to help expand your PC's capabilities by providing higher throughput and simultaneous computing--increasing your performance by up to 80 percent. You'll be able to perform multiple tasks such as digital rendering and gaming all while running virus scan or other background tasks seamlessly thanks to the innovative Direct Connect Architecture. And it's designed to handle simultaneous 32- and 64-bit computing with no degradation in performance. You'll enjoy long battery life thanks to the AMD PowerNow! power management technology, which delivers performance on demand and can extend system battery life up to 65 percent. And the AMD Digital Media XPress technology delivers stellar multimedia performance and playback on digital entertainment such as games, streaming video and audio, DVDs, and music.
It has a 1 MB L2 cache, and this processor can deliver up to 4.0 GT/sec. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance.)
- Hard Drive: The large 400 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (5400 RPM) offers a wealth of storage space, perfect for storing a vast multimedia collection or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.
You'll enjoy enhanced hard drive protection with HP's Protectsmart, which includes a 3D accelerometer that safeguards your data by parking your hard drive if your notebook detects any range of motion, such as being knocked off your desk, falling or taking abuse.
- Memory: The 4 GB of installed RAM helps boost the amount of available video RAM that's shared with this notebook's video card. This notebook has an amazing 8 GB maximum RAM capacity (4 x 2 GB). To receive the faster data transfer benefits of the dual-channel DDR2 RAM, any RAM additions require memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed.
- DVD/CD Drive: This HP notebook offers the next generation of DVD entertainment with the Blu-ray ROM optical drive, which provides the superior image and sound quality of high-definition images and multichannel surround sound as well as backward compatibility with standard DVD movie discs as well as content burned onto DVD¡ÀRW. It also incorporates a DVD¡ÀRW writer that can also burn CDs, which is compatible with dual-layer (DL) discs that can hold up to 8.5 GB of data.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a 101-key keyboard (with integrated numeric keypad) and a touchpad with on/off button and dedicated vertical/horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad. It also includes two quick-launch buttons (HP QuickPlay Music and DVD).
Screen, Video & Audio
You'll enjoy razor-sharp graphics and widescreen movies with the 17-inch WXGA high-definition screen, which has a widescreen resolution of 1440 x 900 pixels--perfect for watching DVD movies the way they were meant to be seen. Video is powered by the ATI Radeon HD 3200 with RS780M chipset, which features 64 MB of DDR2 sideport memory and up to 1918 MB total graphics memory (as allocated by the operating system). The AMD 780 Chipset series lets you connect to a wide range of the latest HD panels by supporting numerous display technologies. Take advantage of ATI SurroundView to support up to four monitors. It also offers support for Microsoft DirectX 10, providing compatibility with today's most advanced and graphic-intensive games and applications.
The Altec Lansing speakers provide exceptional sound, and it also includes SRS Premium Sound. You'll be able to privately share enjoyment of multimedia with a friend via the dual headphone jacks.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
Be ready for the next platform in wireless connectivity with the integrated quad-mode Wi-Fi chip. Based on the draft 802.11n Wi-Fi specification, it offers up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range as existing 802.11g wireless. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and Wi-Fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments).
It also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 34 card slot (replacing the PCMCIA slot), which lets you take advantage of thinner, faster, and lighter expansion cards for even more advanced wireless, networking, storage, and security features. It comes with the following external connectors:
- 4 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players (with 1 eSATA + USB 2.0 combo port)
- 1 HDMI output (for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable)
- Analog video output: 1 VGA
- 1 ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
- 2 headphone jacks
- 1 microphone jack
- 1 Expansion Port 3 connector (for use with the HP xb3000 Expansion Base or the HP Notebook QuickDock)
- 1 IR receiver
- 5-in-1 memory card reader (Secure Digital, MultiMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD Picture Card)
- 10/100 Fast Ethernet networking
- 56K modem (V.90)
The 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium (with SP1) is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
- HP MediaSmart Software Suite: Your one-stop multimedia and entertainment center to create photo slideshows, share personal videos, listen to your favorite music playlists and watch DVD movies.
- muvee autoProducer Basic: Automatically create professional looking home videos and burn to DVD.
- Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe: Automatically fix and edit videos and create CDs and DVDs. Edit, burn and archive data to discs.
- Microsoft Works 9: Includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database and calendar.
- Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 (60-day trial version).
- Adobe Reader 8: Read and print PDF files.
- Norton Internet Security 2009 protects your PC and your identity when you email, bank and shop online; 60 days of protection updates included.
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook PC measures 15.6 x 11.22 x 1.31 inches and weighs 7.64 pounds.
It's powered by an 8-cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of up to 2 hours (depending on usage).
What's in the Box
This package contains the HP Pavilion dv7-1260us notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, IR remote control, and operating instructions. It is backed by a limited warranty for parts and labor for one year from date of purchase as well as technical telephone assistance for one year. Software is also covered for 30 days from date of purchase.
Reduce your impact on the environment with this Energy Star-certified system and HP's innovative take-back options, including trade-in, recycling and donation.
- Entertainment-centric notebook PC with fluid, modern lines in bronze and chrome with argyle-like patterning; widescreen 17-inch LCD
- 2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 RM-72 dual-core processor, 400 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM (8 GB max), Blu-ray Disc playback and DVD-RW/CD burning
- Draft-N Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n); Gigabit Ethernet; ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics (up to 1918 MB total)
- Connectivity: 4 USB (with 1 shared eSATA), 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, ExpressCard 54/34, 5-in-1 memory card reader
- Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 (64-bit version); includes remote control
- Keyboard is ridiculously hard to see
I purchased this laptop about a month ago. It's quite accpetible as laptops go, but it has one glaring flaw, which affects all of the bronze colored HP laptops.
The Keyboard is ridiculously hard to read unless you have a very bright light directly overhead. There just isn't enough contrast between the white letters and the bronze keys to be able to see them.
Touch typing is fine, until you need to find a special key (PgUp, PgDn, Insert, Delete, etc...). It's extremely frustrating.
I'm actually looking through the HP parts store to see if I can find a black keyboard with white letters to replace this with (It would look horrible, but at least I could read the keys)....more info
- HP Pavilion DV7 Is Great for Powerful On The GO Computing
This laptop is a huge bargain for its price. It provides for more computing power and functionality than any laptop in its class/price-range.
The most appealing feature of this laptop is its superior casing and finish. Its very glossy and stands out with a bright light of the HP logo on the top lid (back of the monitor). The illuminating MediaSmart touch-sensitive functions above the keyboard also make it a uniquely designed laptop. Its color has an eloquent yet stylish appeal.
This laptop is not all cosmetic, however. It comes with enough processing power and memory to take on heavy duty multimedia for your audio and video needs. The sound quality is amazing with the Altec Lansing speakers providing SRS premium sound. It even has a great built in HP web cam with HP software to make taking tasteful pictures and recording professional video a cinch for even an amateur. This model does not have the built in TV Tuner or thumb print security features advertised on similar HP models. It does come with a preloaded version of Vista with SP1 and has Microsoft Office Home and Student trial version packaged for an out-of-the-box experience.
The laptop display is crystal clear with stunning graphic quality on a 17" monitor. Plenty of room with a full functioning keyboard and number pad that will make you feel as though you are using a desktop keyboard. I tried this laptop out for an entire day when I received it and it has proven well worth its price.
I was very satisfied with the Next Day shipping as the laptop arrived on time and had no noticeable defects. There was some adhesive tape stuck to the edge of the laptop, but was easily removed and with no physical damage to the device.
Incredibly this computer packs a lot of punch and is still light weight. It does not overheat even on your lap with a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. Beautiful LED lights flood the keyboard against the glossy chrome finish making it a perfect display for use in a dark or dim lit room.
The WiFi card is wonderful with extended range. I was able to pick up my router from the end of my drive way and even at the end of the street. The remote is included for media functionality. You can listen to your music or watch videos without having to touch the keyboard or mouse. The wireless remote fits neatly inside the dedicated slot above the SD-MS/Pro card reader. You've got 4 USB ports (2 on each side) and an place to plug in your HDMI cable to your HD TV. This is wonderful for me to give live presentations on an HD TV at work at conferences.
This is definitely a lot of bang for you buck. I had a Compaq Pressario laptop before this, which I bought on a limited budget at the time. I didn't think the battery would die on me so soon. This HP was definitely worth the extra cash.
I was originally thinking of buying a Dell before I bought the HP DV7, but considering the huge difference in price and much faster delivery this was a sweet deal. The Dell would have taken 4 days longer to ship with a higher shipping cost (on expedited shipping) and with the same specifications (at a $500 price tag difference). I bought this at around 11:40 PM on Tuesday from amazon and had it on my doorstep by 2:00 PM on Thursday.
Two thumbs up!...more info
- Good laptop, but with one fatal flaw
The flaw is not, as some people have suggested, in the keyboard. It's in the chrome strip on which the power button rests, along with a volume control, and the single, only, solitary, absolutely-no-other-way-to-do-this, wireless switch. The wireless switch isn't a positive contact mechanical switch like the power button--it's a capacitance "touch" location which ceases to function if the chrome strip happens to short against something. This not only turns off the wireless and makes turning it back on virtually impossible, it also causes the audio volume slide area to short, which makes the audio volume dialog strobe on and off repeatedly, accompanied by a cascade of annoying clicks.
We are returning the laptop to HP for warranty repairs on the hardware, and hoping that the unit comes back completely fixed.
I think that making the wireless functional only through a single, highly-suspect switch is a bad design. I've expressed this view to HP already.
Beyond that issue (and we have the chrome, not the bronze finish), I think the laptop excels in all other ways. I'll be happy to see it back and functioning in about...oh, maybe 10 days from now....more info
- Nice specs...poor performance...
Shipment was not an issue it arrived within the time frame promised.
Like the aesthetics of the laptop despite its annoying flaws. Such as:
Audio problems, sometimes would cut out especially between logging in and out, which is one of the most annoying problems I'm experiencing.
Scroll on mouse pad buggy & scroll bar is dysfunctional.
Full of bloat ware from hp which slows it down considerably to the point that one who didn't know it wouldn't believe that there are two 2.4Ghz processors running the machine, but was a minor problem easily remedied....more info
- HP Pavilion DV7-1270US 17.0-Inch Laptop (2.4 GHz
okay. agreed the keys are ridicious to see. So... HP why not s back-lite Keyboard? Then you would have a sweet deal!!.
Other than that pretty cool. Not to mention it really is a pretty machine!
- Keyboard impossible to read
I am fairly pleased with this laptop and think it was a great bargain for the price but the keyboard is very hard to see the letters/numbers, etc.,!!! What was HP thinking when they designed this product?? I'm half tempted to return it but like it otherwise. ...more info
- Excellent Computer..Entertainment Powerhouse
I bought this laptop directly from HP i sold my Gateway M-6850FX Gaming computer for this laptop. and let me tell you, this thing is blazing fast. the fit and fish is superb. where my gateway felt flimsy to touch and keyboard always felt like it would break. this one doesnt. and all the extras it comes with i will never be left without a great laptop...more info