|HP Pavilion G60-230US 16.0-Inch Laptop
|List Price: $914.00
Our Price: $574.00
You Save: $340.00 (37%)
Pared down to the essentials, the new G60 series is defined by minimalist lines. High-gloss reflective top cover and palm rest area surfaces contrast cleanly with matte everywhere else. HP Imprint finish in piano black on the top cover with silver across the palm rest and touchpad provides greater durability than traditional painted surfaces. The streamlined look is enhanced with a color-matched keyboard and touchpad. The HP G60 series delivers easy-to-use entertainment. Enjoy full-screen DVD playback on the crystal-clear 16:9 16.0" diagonal HP BrightView display. Burn audio CDs and DVDs to share your favorite songs and video clips with friends and family. Create custom laser-etched disc labels right in the drive with LightScribe and preinstalled Cyberlink DVD Suite. Just burn data on the disc, flip it over and burn the cover image using any scanned image and/or text. Built-in Altec Lansing speakers bring your entertainment to life. And the 5:1 digital media reader enables photo transfer in seconds. It's time to play! 16 diagonal (1366 x 768) High Definition BrightView Display Built-in Webcam and Microphone Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M with up to 1309 MB Shared Graphics Memory LightScribe SuperMulti 8x DVD+-R/RW Drive with Double Layer 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter - MMC, SD, MS, MS Pro, xD Connections - 3 x USB 2.0, Headphone out; Microphone-in, VGA, HDMI, RJ-11 (Modem), RJ-45 Approximate Unit Dimensions - 14.88 (L) x 9.9 (D) x 1.72 (H) Approximate Unit Weight - 6.57 Pounds
Eliminate the black bars that appear when you're watching DVD movies or HDTV content when you view them on the HP Pavilion g60-230us notebook PC, which has a 16-inch screen with a true 16:9 aspect ratio. Pared down to the essentials, HP's G60 series is defined by minimalist lines. High-gloss reflective top cover and palm rest area surfaces contrast cleanly with matte surface everywhere else, and the streamlined look is enhanced with a color-matched keyboard and touchpad.
Chat face to face, or take pictures and video clips with the webcam and integrated digital microphone. Play games and enhance multimedia with the Intel GMA 4500M with up to 1309 MB of total available graphics memory. And enjoy movies or music in seconds with the external DVD or music buttons to launch HP QuickPlay (which bypasses the boot process).
It offers dual-core productivity from its 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium T4200 processor for excellent multitasking. Other features include a 320 GB hard drive, 3 GB of installed RAM (4 GB maximum capacity), dual-layer DVD¡ÀRW drive (which also burns CDs), quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n), 5-in-1 memory card reader, and pre-installed Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1).
| Spec Check |
- 16-inch LCD screen (16:9 aspect ratio)
- 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium T4200 dual-core processor
- 320 GB hard drive
- 3 GB RAM (4 GB maximum)
- Dual-layer Lightscribe DVD¡ÀR drive
- Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- Intel GMA 4500M graphics (up to 1319 MB total)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit, SP1)
- Weighs 6.06 pounds
Screen, Video & Audio
- Processor: The 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium T4200 dual-core processor delivers additional computing resources and help expand the PC's capabilities by providing higher throughput and simultaneous computing. You'll be able to perform multiple tasks such as digital rendering and gaming all while running virus scan or other background tasks seamlessly. And its Intel 64 architecture is also ready for tomorrow's 64-bit applications, and offers enhanced performance through improved virtual memory. Each core shares 1 MB of L2 cache (for a 2 MB total), and they have an 800 MHz front-side bus. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
- Hard Drive: The generous 320 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (7200 RPM) offers a wealth of storage space, perfect for storing a vast multimedia collection or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive has a 3Gb/s interface speed that enables up to 300MB/s data transfer rates (double the speed of the current SATA interface of 1.5Gb/s).
- Memory: The 3 GB of installed RAM (PC6400, 1 x 2 GB, 2 x 1 GB) helps boost the amount of available video RAM that's shared with this notebook's video card. It also offers a fast 800 MHz speed. This notebook has a 4 GB maximum RAM capacity (2 x 2 GB). To receive the faster data transfer benefits of the dual-channel DDR2 RAM, any RAM additions require memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed.
- DVD/CD Drive: This multiformat DVD/CD drive is compatible with writing both DVD+ and DVD- disc formats as well as dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can store up to 8.5 GB of data. It features 4x DVD-R DL Write Once, 2.4x DVD+R DL Write Once, 8x DVD+R, 4x DVD+RW, 8x DVD-R, 4x DVD-RW, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW, and 40x CD-ROM speeds.
This LightScribe DVD¡ÀRW drive lets you laser-etch silkscreen quality text and images on to CDs and DVDs . Your software, PC and discs work together for a no-hassle way to burn just the labels you want. After you burn content, just flip the disc over, reinsert and burn your label--anything from a simple title to a full-disc work of art.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a 101-key keyboard and a touchpad with on/off button and dedicated vertical/horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad. It also includes two quick-launch buttons (HP QuickPlay Music and DVD).
You'll enjoy razor-sharp graphics and widescreen movies with the 16-inch WXGA high-definition screen, which has a widescreen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels--perfect for watching DVD movies the way they were meant to be seen. Video is powered by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M, which uses shared video memory (up to 1309 MB allocated from the system memory). This graphics card is built with Intel Clear Video technology, which delivers clearer, more detailed images by eliminating many of the jagged edges and video artifacts seen when viewing interlaced content and features powerful color control to ensure videos are not too dark, overly bright, or washed out. The Altec Lansing speakers provide exceptional sound.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
Be ready for the next platform in wireless connectivity with the integrated quad-mode Wi-Fi chip. Based on the draft 802.11n Wi-Fi specification, it offers up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range as existing 802.11g wireless. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and Wi-Fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). It comes with the following external connectors:
- 3 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- 1 HDMI output (for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable)
- Analog video output: 1 VGA
- 1 headphone jack
- 1 microphone jack
- 5-in-1 memory card reader (Secure Digital, MultiMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD Picture Card)
- 10/100 Fast Ethernet networking
- 56K modem (V.90)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 (32-bit) is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
- HP MediaSmart Software Suite: Your one-stop multimedia and entertainment center to create photo slideshows, share personal videos, listen to your favorite music playlists and watch DVD movies.
- muvee autoProducer Basic: Automatically create professional looking home videos and burn to DVD.
- Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe: Automatically fix and edit videos and create CDs and DVDs. Edit, burn and archive data to discs.
- Microsoft Works 9: Includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database and calendar.
- Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 (60-day trial version).
- Adobe Reader 8: Read and print PDF files.
- Norton Internet Security 2009 protects your PC and your identity when you email, bank and shop online; 60 days of protection updates included.
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook PC measures 14.88 x 9.9 x 1.72 inches and weighs 6.06 pounds.
It's powered by a 6-cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of up to 2 hours (depending on usage).
What's in the Box
This package contains the HP Pavilion g60-230us notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. It is backed by a limited warranty for parts and labor for one year from date of purchase as well as technical telephone assistance for one year. Software is also covered for 30 days from date of purchase.
Reduce your impact on the environment with this Energy Star-certified system and HP's innovative take-back options, including trade-in, recycling and donation.
- 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium T4200 Dual-Core Processor
- 3 GB RAM (4 GB max)
- 320 GB Hard Drive, LightScribe dual-layer DVD Drive
- Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit, SP1)
- 16-inch screen, Intel GMA 4500M graphics (up to 1319 MB total)
- I love my first laptop
This is the first laptop I have ever owned. I know I dont have anything to compare it to besides my home PC, but it is fast, has a nice sized screen, lost of storage and a pretty good graphics card (I installed NWN2 on there and have had no problems with it). I got it for a really good price too. I highly recommend it. ...more info
- Glad I Purchased
HP Pavilion G60-230US 16.0-Inch Laptop
I had been searching for a 16 in laptop to replace my desktop, and chose this HP. So far, I have been extremely happy with the choice, and have no complaints. I am no techie and find it easy to deal with and perfect for my non business use....more info
- Great for college
I simply adore my HP Pavilion. I only had problems with it once--the battery died prematurely last fall, but I was able to get replaced in three weeks with a pre-paid and pre-labeled box from HP. It never crashed while I had work in progress. It has enough memory that I watch TV shows on hulu on it without the connection stuttering.
Hope you have as good of an experience as I have, or better.
Lori from Reno, NV
- HP Laptop G70-250US
The laptop works very well. We had concerns about VISTA, but so far, no problems. This computer is used for Word documents and for surfing the web primarily. No gaming. We also use it for VOIP phone calls to overseas; it works fine in this role as well. We have yet to try burning CDs or DVDs, but anticipate no problems. The seventeen inch screen is a step up over our old laptop, and the full keyboard (with separate numeral keypad) is a nice addition to the laptop that the larger size permits. The price was excellent....more info
This laptop is ideal for prodcuting and showing my DVDs on genealogy at family reunions. The only set back is that I have to learn the Vista operating system. However I love the machine....more info
- Great Machine for the Money
G70-250=us 17". A lot of power for the money. I added an external TV tuner and enjoy my computer as a media center. Love it!!...more info
- Great buy. Good Deal. Act Fast.
This is a great laptop for the price. I'm really satisfied with it's look and performance. But as is said in other comments, not the lightest laptop on the shelf. I'm mostly writing this for those who may stumble on this in the very near future. Fry's electronics is having a sale on this very laptop that most are paying over $700 for, for the very low price of $599.99 plus a $50 mail in rebate making it $549.99. Sale ends on 4/23/09....more info
- Overall, an excellent laptop
Hardware-wise, an excellent machine.
But too loaded with useless crapware that needs to be removed before you can really use it. Not a surprise.
Once cleaned up, works wonderful !!
Black outside case is stunning, but picks up fingerprints way too easy. A matte finish would work better.
I know... Picky Picky Picky...
Definitely recommended if you know how to clean it!!!...more info
- Good Little Work horse
I purchased the computer in Febrary, 2009 and it was used continually by me supporting the Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program(AARP). The machine did not miss a beat and it allowed me to assist well over 200 individuals. Now that tax season is over it is still a joy to use, connecting to the net or processing digital photo.'s. Good job by H/P....more info
- HP PAVILION LAP TOP
I love the lab top its memory processor speed hard drive space is fantastic. The only disappointment was it is not finger tip but i would recommend this to anyone but i was not please with the service from my supplier i bought it from....more info
- well made laptop
my first purchase of a laptop. Contains plenty of memory to run your programs smoothly. Using it mainly for school but have been playing some games on it. Experience no lag in the game whatsoever. The wireless internet does not read on the first start sometimes so I have to restart the laptop and it usually works again. May be a compatibility issue with my router (netgear), works fine at a friends house who uses linksys.
webcam is one of the best ive seen. very clear picture
overall good laptop...more info
- Best PC for that price!
First of all.., I've been an Apple computer user (lover) for almost 10 years that swear never to go back to PC.., however, due to a change of career and compatibility reasons I had to buy a PC.., I was SUPER hesitant, so after a couple of weeks of research I decided to go for the HP G70.., I use it to run a full version of AutoCAD 2008 on Vista for 3D mapping and engineering design and I can just say I'm more than happy, It has been the best buy ever!.. Thumbs up to HP for this one!...more info
- HP Pavillion G60
This machine performs as I expected it to. There is quality written all over it. I am very pleased with the amount of pressure/resistance in the keys, the size of the keys (except the function keys at the top -- should have been larger), and the finish....more info
- Love this computer. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it.
Great graphics, lots of memory. The one minor drawback, and it is only minor for me, is that it's a bit heavy. I don't have to spend my days toting it around, so it's not an issue for me.
Alot of bang for your buck here, and I'm glad I bought it!...more info
- Great laptop
I don't know about the other reviewer's experience, but I can say that I love everything about this computer. The screen is bright and the colors are vivid. I have listened to other laptop speakers, and these sound very good. The keyboard is wonderful to type on. I had to uninstall some bloatware, but that was expected. Will upgrade to a 12 cell battery as soon as I can afford to. I highly recommend this laptop to anyone who wants a well made machine. Read the specs listed above and you will find that this machine has everything you would want in a laptop or desktop replacement. Con: somewhat large and slightly heavy, but then again your going to carry it in a bag anyways!...more info
- Great performance
I have been enjoying this computer for a long time now. It's versatile and it fast....more info
- Very good price/performer from HP
The G70-250US laptop is a very capable laptop but with a 17" screen it is not a lightweight. After 3 days of use these are my initial comments. The "HP Imprint" silver finish on the keyboard is very smooth which has a glassy feel which I didn't' like initially, but it may grow on me. The 4 directional keys, which are grouped below the right shift key, are half height keys which seem a little too small. The volume control is a two key operation which uses the left function key and a volume key, and that is a slight annoyance as compared to my other HP laptop (NC6220) which takes only 1 key press. The speakers and the LCD display perform very well when viewing HD movie trailers and various DVD's. There is nearly 25GB of preloaded software, and I removed about 50% of which I don't care to use or have acquired previously. Microsoft Vista is a decent OS, however I found a case where it was not compatible with my Netgear WGT624V3 wireless router (search the web for details on making a registry change in Vista). I'll describe my laptop use to be 70% business, 30% casual audio/Photoshop editing and web shopping mostly at home. I'm pretty satisfied with this laptop knowing it's not a stellar performer but capable one for doing ordinary office work and recreational stuff which doesn't require the Intel "Genius" processor. It's a pretty good price performer from HP (and my 3rd HP laptop). ...more info
One of the best laptop in the market, excellent for photo edition, his big screen is really confortable. The price cant be better....more info
- Love it
Great for taking to embroidery software classes which is why I bought it. It is light weight easy to carry with a large screen and great color. Have not had any problems with it. Don't care much for Vista but that isn't HP's issue....more info
- Great Lap Top
This is a great lap top. I replaced my four year old lap top and this is like going from a Mustang to a Corvette. Light weight, very quick, no heat and battery life over 3.5 hours. Good product.
Amazon's shipping worked like a charm like always!...more info
- Great basic computer for the money
I purchased this laptop after comparing price/performance for low cost laptops. I ruled out AMD CPUs as comparable Intel mobile processors are faster. I have been using this HP for 10 days and have found it to be an excellent computer after a number of changes as follows:
1. Uninstalled all the trial software and other programs I will not use.
2. Ran MSConfig, Startup, and removed every program from Startup except the four items for the Intel Graphics processor.
3. Went to Administrative Services and comparing it with the recommendations on [...] changed a lot of services from Automatic (startup) to either Manual or Disable. This removed a lot more programs that ran at startup.
4. Added a number of new programs that I use.
5. Upgraded the memory from 3GB to 4GB.
Even before I performed step 5. above, this computer was now very fast It uses an Intel T4200 mobile dual processor which is only about 8% slower than the Intel T6400 processor featured in most of the higher priced mainstream laptops. If you wish to upgrade memory, there is one step that is not included in any instructions I have seen. After changing a memory module, you must disconnect the hard drive for 5 seconds or more or your computer will not start. I found this out after an hour on the phone with HP tech support. I highly recommend HP tech support as I found them to be knowledgeable even if they are in India. Upgrading the memory will not void your warranty. One thing to note - the HP warranty is 90 days with HP paying for shipping both ways, labor and materials. After that for the balance of one year you pay shipping and labor and HP pays for parts.
Everything works well, from easy wireless connection to the modem, etc. I like everything about this laptop and recommend it if you can buy it a low price. HP has a rebate on this computer until June 27th, and also offers a full or partial rebate on certain HP printers when you buy this computer.