|HP Pavilion HDX16-1140US 16.0-Inch Laptop
|List Price: $1437.00
Our Price: $1098.00
You Save: $339.00 (24%)
HP is redefining the home PC experience with the HDX series, a brand new class of notebooks featuring exceptionally large, high-performance displays. Designed for digital entertainment enthusiasts who demand premium A/V features, the HP HDX series is the convergence of home cinema and portable performance-class desktop PC in a design notable for its breakthrough elegance. HP introduces the 16" BrightView display delivering high resolution and picture quality display, making it perfect for watching DVD movies using the DVD+-R/RW Drive. HDXs integrated Audio speakers and subwoofer provides a best-in-class audio experience with integrated amplifiers that provide outstanding stereo sound with heart thumping bass. Combining GeForce 9600M GT graphics, Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GBs of RAM makes this a great gaming machine to blast away all you enemies with. The HDX is also loaded with extra features at a great price such as 802.11N wireless, Bluetooth, fingerprint reader and many more! 16 diagonal High-Definition (1366 x 768) BrightView Infinity Display Built-in Webcam and Digital Microphone NVidia GeForce 9600M GT with 512MB Dedicated Graphics Memory, with up to 2302MB Shared LightScribe DVD+-R/RW Double Layer Drive Altec Lansing Dolby Home Theater Speakers with Sub-Woofer Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN 802.11a/b/g/n Bluetooth 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter - MMC, SD, MS, MS Pro, xD Fingerprint Reader ExpressCard 54/34 Slot Ports - 3 x USB 2.0, eSATA/USB, IEEE-1394, 2 x Headphone out, Microphone-in, HDMI, VGA, RJ-45 Approximate Unit Dimensions - 14.9 (L) x 10.0 (D) x 1.70 (H) Approximate Unit Weight - 7.06 Pounds
Expanding on the elegance of the HDX series, the HP HDX 16-1140us delivers in a design that balances performance and mobility. Its elegant Fluid Imprint finish encases leading-edge mobile architectures, including the latest Intel Centrino 2 dual-core processor and NVIDIA GeForce graphics processor. And it's preloaded with the Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit operating system, enabling you to fully access system memory to support 3D games and complex applications. You'll also enjoy high-definition video content on the 16-inch widescreen HD BrightView Infinity display--which offers true a 16:9 aspect ratio--that's matched to Altec Lansing speakers with an integrated subwoofer and Dolby Home Theater immersive surround sound.
The HDX laptop features a number of ways to protect your data. HP's ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection locks your 500 GB hard drive into place when it senses abrupt motion to help prevent data loss. The integrated fingerprint reader offers greater security and ease-of-use by associating passwords to your system and online accounts with unique fingerprints. And the built-in eSATA/USB combo port enables fast backup to an external hard drive.
It's powered by the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processor--with Centrino 2 technology--which boosts speed, reduces power requirements, and saves on battery life. The 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 includes a quick 1066 MHz front-side bus and 3 MB of L2 cache, providing an optimized, multithreaded architecture for improved multimedia and multitasking performance.
Create custom laser-etched disc labels right in the dual-layer DVD drive with LightScribe and preinstalled Cyberlink DVD Premium. Just burn data on the disc, flip it over and burn the cover image using any scanned image and/or text. Other features include a 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB of RAM (8 GB maximum), Draft-N Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) and Gigabit Ethernet networking, Bluetooth connectivity, integrated numeric keypad, HDMI audio/video output, multi-format memory card reader, and remote control.
This HP notebook is Energy Star 4.0 certified, and has received a Silver EPEAT designation for meeting standards to help reduce its environmental impact. Additionally, HP exclusive uses of EPA SmartWay carriers for reduced transportation-related emissions. HP's innovative take-back options include trade-in, recycling and donation.
The HP HDX is defined by fluid, modern lines and metalized finishes with surprising innovations inside and out. A high-gloss HP Imprint finish in titanium and chrome now encases all surfaces visible during normal use for greater durability, and a sleeve is included for extra protection. The HDX series Fluid Imprint features a flowing linear pattern that enhances the reflective qualities of the metallic finish. The streamlined look is enhanced with a color-matched keyboard and touchpad. And touch media controls light up and become visible only when the system is powered on further enhancing the clean appearance.
| Spec Check |
- 16-inch LCD screen (true 16:9)
- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor
- 500 GB hard drive
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB maximum)
- Dual-layer Lightscribe DVD¡ÀR drive
- Draft-N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) and Bluetooth
- Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT graphics (up to 2302 MB total)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
- Weighs 7.06 pounds
- Processor: Experience improved energy efficiency, expanded wireless connectivity, and amazing battery life with the 45nm Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor featuring Intel Centrino 2 technology. This processor has a 2.4 GHz processor speed, super-sized 1066 MHz front-side bus (FSB), and a extra-large 3 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
Formerly codenamed Montevina, Intel Centrino 2 processor technology improves upon every facet of a laptop's main features, including performance and battery life via new processors and chipsets, faster draft 802.11n wireless, and new business-class manageability capabilities. The new hafnium-infused circuitry--which reduces electrical current leakage in transistors--conserves even more energy, giving you more time away from the wall outlet.
The Intel Core 2 Duo processor has two computational execution cores in a single processor, providing greater system response when running multi-threaded applications simultaneously with no significant increase in power consumption. It's optimized for multitasking and it can run multiple demanding applications--such as graphics-intensive games or serious number-crunching business productivity applications--while downloading music or running virus-scanning security programs in the background.
- Hard Drive: The extra-large 500 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (5400 RPM) offers a wealth of storage space, perfect for storing a vast multimedia collection or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.
You'll enjoy enhanced hard drive protection with HP's Protectsmart, which includes a 3D accelerometer that safeguards your data by parking your hard drive if your notebook detects any range of motion, such as being knocked off your desk, falling or taking abuse.
- Memory: The 4 GB of installed RAM helps boost the amount of available video RAM that's shared with this notebook's video card. This notebook has an amazing 8 GB maximum RAM capacity (4 x 2 GB). To receive the faster data transfer benefits of the dual-channel DDR2 RAM, any RAM additions require memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed.
- DVD/CD Drive: This multiformat DVD/CD drive is compatible with writing both DVD+ and DVD- disc formats as well as dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can store up to 8.5 GB of data. It features 4x DVD-R DL Write Once, 2.4x DVD+R DL Write Once, 8x DVD+R, 4x DVD+RW, 8x DVD-R, 4x DVD-RW, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW, and 40x CD-ROM speeds.
This LightScribe DVD¡ÀRW drive lets you laser-etch silkscreen quality text and images on to CDs and DVDs . Your software, PC and discs work together for a no-hassle way to burn just the labels you want. After you burn content, just flip the disc over, reinsert and burn your label--anything from a simple title to a full-disc work of art.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a 101-key keyboard (with integrated numeric keypad) and a touchpad with on/off button and dedicated vertical/horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad. It also includes two quick-launch buttons (HP QuickPlay Music and DVD).
Screen, Video & Audio
You'll enjoy razor-sharp graphics and widescreen movies with the 16-inch WXGA high-definition screen, which has a widescreen resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels--a perfect 16:9 aspect ratio for watching DVD movies the way they were meant to be seen. Video is powered by the Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT graphics/video card, which provides 512 MB of dedicated video RAM and offers up to 2302 MB of total available graphics memory as allocated by Windows Vista. Enabled by PureVideo HD, movies come to life with outstanding picture clarity, ultra-smooth video and vivid color. The lifelike images have up to six times the detail of standard DVD movies. Delivering state-of-the-art graphics performance, The GeForce 9600M GT graphics card is sure to give you the power and performance you crave to play the hottest DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 titles. Its 16x full-screen antialiasing technology delivers superior quality along with astounding performance and since it's optimized for Windows Vista.
The Altec Lansing speakers provide exceptional sound, and it also includes SRS Premium Sound. You'll be able to privately share enjoyment of multimedia with a friend via the dual headphone jacks.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
Be ready for the next platform in wireless connectivity with the integrated quad-mode Wi-Fi chip. Based on the draft 802.11n Wi-Fi specification, it offers up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range as existing 802.11g wireless. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and Wi-Fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). With the integrated Bluetooth connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones.
It also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 34 card slot (replacing the PCMCIA slot), which lets you take advantage of thinner, faster, and lighter expansion cards for even more advanced wireless, networking, storage, and security features. It comes with the following external connectors:
- 4 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players (with 1 eSATA + USB 2.0 combo port)
- 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
- 1 HDMI output (for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable)
- Analog video output: 1 VGA
- 1 ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
- 2 headphone jacks
- 1 microphone jack
- 1 Expansion Port 3 connector (for use with the HP xb3000 Expansion Base or the HP Notebook QuickDock)
- 1 IR receiver
- 5-in-1 memory card reader (Secure Digital, MultiMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD Picture Card)
- 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet networking
- 56K modem (V.90)
The 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium (with SP1) is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
- HP MediaSmart Software Suite: Your one-stop multimedia and entertainment center to create photo slideshows, share personal videos, listen to your favorite music playlists and watch DVD movies.
- muvee autoProducer Basic: Automatically create professional looking home videos and burn to DVD.
- Cyberlink DVD Suite Premium: Automatically fix and edit videos and create CDs and DVDs. Edit, burn and archive data to discs.
- Microsoft Works 9: Includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database and calendar.
- Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 (60-day trial version).
- Adobe Reader 8: Read and print PDF files.
- Norton Internet Security 2009 protects your PC and your identity when you email, bank and shop online; 60 days of protection updates included.
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook PC measures 14.9 x 10 x 1.7 inches and weighs 7.06 pounds.
It's powered by a 6-cell rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of up to 2.0 hours (depending on usage).
What's in the Box
This package contains the HP Pavilion HDX16-1140US notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, protective sleeve, HP Mobile ScrollSmart remote control, earbud headphones, and operating instructions. It is backed by a limited warranty for parts and labor for one year from date of purchase as well as technical telephone assistance for one year. Software is also covered for 30 days from date of purchase.
Reduce your impact on the environment with this Energy Star-certified system and HP's innovative take-back options, including trade-in, recycling and donation.
- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB max)
- 500 GB hard drive, LightScribe Dual-layer DVD Drive
- Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 (64-bit version)
- 16-inch Screen (16:9 aspect ratio), Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT Graphics (up to 2302 MB total)
- THE BEST Value you will find in a PC over $1,500!
I am writing about the HDX- 18.4". I bought one new in Jan (elsewhere) and am buying a 2nd for my wife from Amazon Warehouse (will update review on that when I get May 28 09).
Processor- The Intel Quad9000 (their entry level Quad) is a 5 out of 5 star (Intel's rating system)and currently the BEST quad you can get in a laptop. There are EXTREME chips that may be better for gaming. This chip alone costs $1,200 to add when you customize most systems. This is the BEST thing about this system. You will be up to date for at least another year and a half.
Screen- This screen is "true" 1080 HD resolution -the specs on this page are wrong. I told a Amazon tech on the phone, but they didn't seem to care. 18.4" with true WIDESCREEN 16x9 (normally it's 16x10). You can't find true 1080 on some machines that cost $1k more.
Hard Drive/RAM - 500GB is more than you could possibly need. 4GB is nice, but you may want to add another 2 GB.
Graphics Card- The NVIDIA 9600 is really not going to get it done except on low settings for the most demanding games like Crysis. You can try it on low settings, but then your really not getting all the game. This is the worst thing about the machine. If your not going to be playing the most demanding games then there is no worry.
Extras- BluRay- Nice to have although I have BluRay players. Fingerprint thing you will use more than you think. The lightscribe is cool, but you need discs that cost twice as much if you want to use that.
I researched EVERY option out there and if your looking for a 17"+ desktop replacement type this is THE BEST you can do at any price unless you customize -which is VERY costly.
- Excellent product
Came on time. Easy to set-up (much easier than I had anticipated). Is performing very well. The only problem I've had so far is I can't get the fingerprint reader to recognize my prints (which is frustrating, but not the end of the world). I did tweak the software and settings a bit to increase performance and am very pleased with the results. Love the options and functions....more info
- Acceptable PC
Acceptable. That's the word that comes to mind with my new HP HDX16. I would not call it spectacular or awesome. I just cannot win. Right out of the box the HP Media smart says it has stopped working, well that is because it does not have that upgraded feature on the machine that comes with the TV tuner. I did not order it nor did I really want it but now forever and ever I will get this dialogue when I flip on the computer. Why the heck does it take forever for a Vista computer to boot up? Just give me a freakin reason. My wife can get on her Mac Book Pro and check her email, bank account, and school tasks before I can even get the browser to open up. The HP has a top of the line processor labeled Genius, well I think Britney Spears was once labeled a genius too. So here we go again: constant updates, reboots, upgrades, reboot, buy this antivirus, required update, etc... All I want to do is my power point presentation, all I want is to do is Skype, I just want to listen to my music, etc... But as with every PC you've got to be a database administrator before you can you use a PC as an essential tool to your everyday life. Maybe I rely on these things way too much. I just cannot win. ...more info
- Tremendous laptop!! Very pleased with it
As compared to other laptops at roughly the same price point, this computer is a much, much better deal. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.
I bought this the 1st day it went on sale at Amazon - was literally about to pull the trigger on another laptop, but this popped up new on a final scan, so I bought it instead.
Main features that make it a great buy for the price are:
- A better, faster processor that is also Intel's latest offering (Quad Core Q9000)
- Lots of memory (4G)
- A bigger hard drive (500G)
- A larger screen (18.4")
- A Blu-Ray drive (for HD movies)
I wanted a very high performance laptop for under $2,000 - and was especially keen to find something with killer processor speed, a graphics card to drive 2 external HD monitors, and a big laptop screen.
I use the machine for general business purposes, but also most importantly for web development work running Drupal and an Apache development server on the machine, along with big programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop - all running pretty much at once. I do not use for gaming, but believe it would be great for that, too. I also don't use so much for video / movies, even though it is heavily designed with that in mind.
I extensively researched machines from Dell, Alienware, Sony, Asus, and other leading vendors (I didn't want a Mac, so didn't compare against that). I'm not a hard core techie, but I wanted the best I could buy, so I also looked at the Intel site and their processor specs, visited the geek blogs to get the latest gossip on processor performance, etc.
So far I couldn't be happier with the machine! It is great. Very, very fast. Laptop screen is large and super high quality. The keyboard is really lovely - very smooth, like silk.
A few notes on things I've learned about the machine so far:
- It is a big laptop. That's probably obvious from the 18.4" screen, but it is also pretty heavy and the power cord/transformer is bigger and heavier than normal (takes a lot of power to fuel the processor and screen). So while the computer is certainly portable, it sure doesn't fit in your back pocket. If you are a highly mobile worker, this might be a factor.
- Baseline graphics card will support dual external monitors and/or an HD TV connection. I am currently running 1 external 1680x1050 plus laptop screen, but will be adding 2nd external soon (the cabling for doing this is a bit confusing, but I think I now have it figured out).
- The entire HDX line of laptops is new (introduced Fall '08 from what I understand) and there is not yet a complete line-up of accessories available. For instance, I was thinking to get a docking station to configure my monitors, but only docking station that currently works with the machine is the HP QuickDock or xB4 and these do not have digital video/monitor ports (VGA only) which renders them pretty useless if you have high performance monitors. As well, they do not yet sell 'official' HP memory upgrades for this machine yet (tech support indicates they probably will later this year, so worth checking if that's important to you). In the meantime, you can use off-the-shelf memory from Amazon or wherever. Memory is DDR2 800Mhz 200 pin (which isn't stated anywhere obvious that I saw), but can be switched over to DDR3 if you upgrage to the enhanced graphics card.
- After many painful hours on hold and being routed from one tech support rep to another, I learned that there is a dedicated tech support group for the HDX laptops. For some reason, they provide only the main number in the collateral that comes with the machine - and no one at that number seems to know about this special group. But eventually somebody figured to route me there and I recommend you go there directly. 866-408-5408.
Overall, I love this machine and highly recommend it to others.