|Sony VAIO VGN-FW373J/B 16.4-Inch Laptop - Black
|List Price: $1329.99
Our Price: $1199.99
You Save: $130.00 (10%)
Broaden your entertainment horizons with the VAIO(R) FW notebook featuring an extra-wide 16.4" XBRITE-FullHD LCD display. Fall in love with your favorite movies all over again with an extra-wide, theater inspired 16.4" display using energy-efficient XBRITE-FullHD LCD technology. The 16:9 aspect ratio ensures that you won't miss an inch of the original picture from your favorite movie while also providing valuable extra workspace. Compare two documents or websites side-by-side without the hassle of having to tab back and forth. Blast through all your games with Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor 2.40GHz with Intel Centrino 2 processor technology and 4GB of pre-installed system memory. While tackling virtually any graphics requirement with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 graphics card with 512MB of dedicated video RAM. 16.4 (1920 x 1080) XBRITE-FullHD Display Built-in 1.3 Megapixel Webcamera and Microphone ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 with 512 Dedicated Video Memory Blu-Ray Reader DVD+-R/RW Drive with Double Layer Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN 802.11a/b/g/n Integrated Stereo A2DP Bluetooth v2.1 EDR 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet LAN Built-in Memory Stick(R) Standard/Duo PRO with MagicGate(TM) Card Reader Built-in Secure Digital (SD) media slot ExpressCard 34 Slot Connections - 3 x USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Headphone; Microphone, VGA, HDMI, RJ-11 (Modem), RJ-45 Approximate Unit Dimensions - 15.1 (W) x 10.3 (D) x 1.46(H) Approximate Unit Weight - 7 Pounds
Inspired by theater screens, the Sony VAIO VGN-FW370J/B broadens your entertainment horizons with a brilliantly colorful 16.4-inch high-definition LCD, dedicated AV controls, HDMI output to your HDTV, and more. Great for watching widescreen movies or viewing two web sites side-by-side, the 16.4-inch screen also minimizes the annoying black bars you see when playing widescreen movies. And the Blu-ray Disc optical drive (read-only) lets you play high-definition Blu-ray Disc movies in crystal-clear resolution. You'll also enjoy the Dolby Sound Room suite of audio technologies for immersive surround sound pumped through a home theater speaker system or just a pair of headphones. Making your own movies is also easy with the included Sony Movie Story software--just choose the supplied template and professional-looking cutaways, cross-fades and soundtrack syncing are automatically done for you.
Reminiscent of a rolling wave, the smooth, curved lines of are as functional as they are attractive--from the iconic new cylindrical hinge to the sloping bend where the keyboard meets the display. Striking, yet sophisticated, this deep black VAIO FW notebook utilizes advanced paint technology that's applied to the magnesium chassis, making the color appear to shift in tint at different angles.
The Sony VAIO FW in black.
It's powered by the latest Intel Core 2 Duo processor--with Centrino 2 technology--which boosts speed, reduces power requirements, and saves on battery life. The 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 includes a quick 1066 MHz front-side bus and 3 MB of L2 cache, providing an optimized, multithreaded architecture for improved multimedia and multitasking performance. Other features include a 320 GB hard drive (with a fast 7200 speed), 4 GB of installed RAM (8 GB maximum), ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 graphics with up to 2280 MB of available memory (512 MB discrete), dual-layer DVD¡ÀRW and CD burning capabilities, ExpressCard 34 slot, quad-mode Wi-Fi, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth connectivity (including stereo music streaming), a 1.3-megapixel webcam built into the bezel, both Memory Stick and SD card readers, and pre-installed Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1).
This Sony notebook is Energy Star 4.0 certified, and has received a Silver EPEAT designation for meeting standards to help reduce its environmental impact. Additionally, it is RoHS-compliant, effectively reducing the environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances.
| Spec Check |
- Color: Black
- 16.4-inch LCD screen
- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor
- 320 GB hard drive (7200)
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB maximum)
- Combo Blu-ray Disc Read-Only and DVD¡ÀR drive
- Quad-mode Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) & Bluetooth 2.1
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 graphics (2280 MB total)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
- Weighs 6.7 pounds
Screen, Video & Audio
- Processor: Experience improved energy efficiency, expanded wireless connectivity, and amazing battery life with the 45nm Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor featuring Intel Centrino 2 technology. This processor has a 2.4 GHz processor speed, super-sized 1066 MHz front-side bus (FSB), and a extra-large 3 MB L2 cache. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
Formerly codenamed Montevina, Intel Centrino 2 processor technology improves upon every facet of a laptop's main features, including performance and battery life via new processors and chipsets, faster draft 802.11n wireless, and new business-class manageability capabilities. The new hafnium-infused circuitry--which reduces electrical current leakage in transistors--conserves even more energy, giving you more time away from the wall outlet.
The Intel Core 2 Duo processor has two computational execution cores in a single processor, providing greater system response when running multi-threaded applications simultaneously with no significant increase in power consumption. It's optimized for multitasking and it can run multiple demanding applications--such as graphics-intensive games or serious number-crunching business productivity applications--while downloading music or running virus-scanning security programs in the background.
- Hard Drive: The extra large 320 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (with a fast 7200 RPM speed--usually found in desktops) offers a wealth of storage space, perfect for storing a vast multimedia collection or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to Firewire and USB 2.0.
- Memory: The 4 GB of installed RAM (PC6400, 800 MHz, 2 x 2 GB) helps boost the amount of available video RAM that's shared with this notebook's video card. This notebook has an amazing 8 GB maximum RAM capacity (4 x 2 GB). To receive the faster data transfer benefits of the dual-channel DDR2 RAM, any RAM additions require memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed.
- DVD/CD Drive: This Sony notebook is capable of playing back Blu-ray Disc movies in stunning clarity, as well as playing your current library of purchased and burned disc content. This notebook can also write standard DVD and CD media. The BD drive offers a 2x speed for reading BD-R/RE discs and a 2x BD-R/RE DL (dual layer) read speed. It also offers the following write speeds for standard DVD and CD discs: 6x DVD¡ÀR DL, 8x for single-layer DVD¡ÀR, 6x DVD¡ÀRW, 24x CD-R/RW, and 5x for DVD-RAM.
- Keyboard & Mouse: This notebook has a standard 86-key keyboard (2mm stroke and 19.05mm pitch) and electro-static two-button touchpad. Playback controls include play/pause, stop, forward, rewind, AV mode, mute, volume +/-, WLAN/Bluetooth on/off.
This Sony VAIO has a 16.4-inch TFT display with a resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels (native 720p for high-definition viewing). The 16:9 aspect ratio ensures that you won't miss an inch of the original picture from your favorite movie while also providing valuable extra workspace. The XBRITE-ECO technology delivers brilliant colors and stunning clarity with efficient power usage, and it features an anti-reflective coating to minimize reflection and ensure a beautifully clear image from any viewing angle. Video is powered by the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, which provides 512 MB of discrete graphics memory (for 2280 MB of total available graphics memory). ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series graphics processors have breakthrough efficiency, with phenomenal performance-per-watt and energy-saving features. Advance to the power of discrete graphics for HD gaming with best-in-class performance, amazing effects, and lifelike worlds and characters delivering a compelling gaming experience. For external monitors, it provides a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 using HDMI and 2048 x 1536 via VGA.
This laptop also has an integrated audio card with Dolby Sound Room suite of technologies, which delivers virtual surround sound from stereo speakers or any pair of headphones and is designed for environments where multiple surround speakers are neither practical nor possible. It includes Dolby Digital (for 5.1 discrete channels of surround sound), Dolby Headphone (delivering the experience of a 5.1-channel soundtrack from any set of headphones), and Dolby Virtual Speaker (providing 5.1-channel surround sound from any pair of speakers).
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
Be ready for the next platform in wireless connectivity with the integrated quad-mode Intel Wireless 5100AGN Wi-Fi chip. Based on the draft 802.11n Wi-Fi specification, it offers up to five times the performance and twice the wireless range as existing 802.11g wireless. It's also backward compatible with 802.11b/g networks (commonly found in home routers and wi-fi hotspots) as well as 802.11a networks (which has a higher throughput, but more limited range--great for closed office environments). With the Bluetooth connectivity, you can communicate and synchronize with Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as PDAs and cell phones as well as enjoy wireless stereo music streaming (thanks to its embedded A2DP profile).
This notebook also includes a next-generation ExpressCard 34 card slot (though no PCMCIA slot), which lets you take advantage of thinner, faster, and lighter expansion cards for even more advanced wireless, networking, storage, and security features. Here's the full list of connectivity options:
- 3 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
- 1 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals
- 1 HDMI output (for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable)
- Analog video output: 1 VGA
- 1 ExpressCard/34 slot
- Memory Stick/Memory Stick DUO slot (with MagicGate functionality)
- Secure Digital memory card slot (compatible with MMC cards)
- 1 headphone jack, 1 microphone jack
- 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
- 56K modem (V.90)
The 64-bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium (with SP1) is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect via Wi-Fi.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Microsoft Windows Live OneCare anti-virus and recovery (trial version), Microsoft Works SE 9.0, Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student (60-day trial), Sony Click to Disk Editor (CD and DVD burning), VAIO Movie Story (video editing), VAIO MusicBox
Dimensions & Weight
This notebook measures 15.1 x 10.3 x 1.46 inches (WxDxH) and weighs 6.7 pounds.
It's powered by the VGP-BPS13/S rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which has a battery life of between 2.5 and 5.5 hours (depending on usage). This laptop is compliant with Energy Star 4.0 specifications, meaning that it uses less power and reduces greenhouse gas emissions by meeting very strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy.
What's in the Box
This package contains the VGN-FW373J/B notebook PC, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, and operating instructions. It is backed by a one-year limited hardware warranty, and Sony offers 1-year of toll-free telephone technical assistance.
- 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 Dual-Core Processor (with Centrino 2 technology)
- 4 GB RAM (8 GB max)
- 320 GB Hard Drive, Blu-ray read/write drive (plus DVD/CD burner)
- Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1, 64-bit)
- Extra-wide 16.4-inch screen, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 graphics (2280 MB total)
- Its not the computer, its the software..Vista that sucks.
I have an Apple and a Sony Vaio using Windows XL that will stream HD Baseball from www.mlb.com. Not with Vista. Vista wouldn't even reconize my plug and play HP printers. Apple and Windows XL did.
My recommendation is don't even think about buying a new computer until Windows 7 is available....more info
- Great Machine, do not hesitate and buy it
The Size is great to work with a program at the same time, to watch a BD movie, and the performace has been great so far (2 months).
I really recommend this machine....more info
- A great value
This is truly a great value for the price, and its from Sony no less (Sony is famous for high priced laptops).
- Price, for the features it pack this is a great deal.
- Full HD (1080p, 1900x1080), birght, and a 16:9 aspect ratio meaning you can watch widescreen movies without the bars (some have small bars, but they also show up on my HDTV) and in all their HD glory. It also has an HDMI output show you can watch them on your HDTV.
- A Blu-Ray player, a big surprise to find at this price.
- A dedicated graphics card. While its not going to play Crysis at high settings it plays most games at medium-high settings.
- 7200RPM 300GB HDD, most notebooks at this price only have a 5400RPM drive. Trust me you can notice a difference between 5400RPM and 7200RPM.
- 4 GB of memory upgradeable to 8GB.
- The speakers don't suck like most notebook speakers do.
- Runs quiet and cool. It can get warm near the exhaust when using resource intensive applications, but its to be expected.
- Not a lot of bloatware, and some of it was even usefull.
- Includes the 64bit edition of Vista. Some complain about Vista, but the 64 bit version combined with SP1 have ironed out most of the problems.
- No numberpad, if they had not gone with the spread out keys keyboard design it could have had one.
- Sony only provides Vista drivers, so if you want to use XP its a pain to try to get everything working. This is somewhat eased because I have been told they plan to provide Windows 7 drivers.
- The disc drive is a bit on the slow side as far as burning and read speeds go.
- It has less bloatware than many notebooks, but there are still a few preinstalled, useless, resource hogging programs that you have to remove.
- Vista can be a pain, but this is the fault of Microsoft/Vista not Sony or the notebook.
Overall if your in the market for a mobile entertainment/gaming notebook this is a great deal....more info
- Nice Specs .. bad experience
I saw all the good reviews and bought this model. On paper, this laptop is wonderful - full-HD 16.4" LCD, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 320GB 7200rpm drive, 512MB ATI Radeon 3650, Blu-Ray drive, and 64-bit windows vista. Beautiful.
Bootloader Corrupt ...
I got it and booted it up, created an Admin account, played with it for a few mins and then let it sit. It hibernated, and then it came back without issues. Played with it again for a few mins and then let it sit while I worked. Got back to it, and it wouldn't boot. The error was that the bootloader file could not be found "boot/bcd". After some frustration, I checked the laptop forums and found that another guy had the same trouble and he suggested pressing F10 while booting and using system restore. I did that, and got it back on track.
Will not recognize/play Blu-Ray disks
I did not have a Blu-Ray player and so I didn't have a disk right then, but I got one the next day .. wouldn't even recognize that a disk has been inserted, and of course, WinDVD BD won't play a disk the laptop doesn't even "see". I suspected that it was a defective disk, and so rented another one. Same deal - the OS will not even recognize the BD disk. It does however, recognize CDs and DVDs. Go figure!
Comes with about 20 or so programs that you don't need. The used drive space was about 27 GB without any Vista SP1 or additional updates. A clean install of Vista Ultimate, on the other hand, takes up only 9 GB. You'll have to either live with all that bloatware, or spend about 1 hour+ uninstalling bloatware and rebooting several times.
So what did I do?
Since I'm a masochist, I'm going to believe in this laptop once more and have ordered a replacement from Amazon. Maybe I got a bad copy. Will update the review (if I can) when I try out the replacement. Thankfully, Amazon customer service was wonderful - they listened to my whining and immediately offered to order a replacement. Really appreciate Amazon for this....more info
- Simply The Best
Major props to Sony on this one. This is absolutely THE best laptop you can find for the price. I spent just over $1000 on this and I'm loving it. Honestly, where can you find a powerful computer with 1080p resolution, a dedicated ATI video card, 16.4 inch screen, Blu-Ray player, and 4GB of ram for that little? A Mac with similar specs would cost you $2800! Save yourself the $1800 and buy a Plasma 50 inch TV, or for the down payment on a car, or a week in Hawaii - the list goes on and on.
(1) Quick computing. I run serious MATLAB and Mathematica modeling programs on this bad boy, and it handles them just fine for a laptop.
(2) Runs cool. I've had some previous issues with powerful laptops overheating. This runs VERY quiet and cool.
(3) Blu-Ray is gorgeous.
(4) Overall Windows Experience Index Number is 5.1 on my machine.
(5) Keyboard is wonderfully ergonomic and fits perfectly to my hands. The keys have a great click to them, and don't feel cheap.
(6) The touchpad is great. I would rank it higher than any windows based machine I've ever felt and only slightly inferior to Apple's trackpad.
(7) Is very sleek and sexy. I think it's the best looking laptop I've ever owned, Macbooks included. Additionally, it is SURPRISINGLY LIGHT.
(8) Packaged/included software isn't too obtrusive.
(9) Speakers don't suck.
(10) Decent battery life, though I don't use this in such a way that it would matter either way.
(11) Very respectable boot up time.
(12) PRICE! You won't find a similar quality laptop for this price.
(1) Doesn't include packaged discs with drivers and the OS. You have to create them yourself. Not too difficult.
(2) Had to go online and update drivers manually for the Blu-Ray player.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A QUALITY, POWERFUL LAPTOP WITHOUT SHELLING OUT A COUPLE G's, LOOK NO FURTHER!!
- Nice laptop but the Amazon description is wrong about the Blue-Ray drive.
This laptop is really nice for the price I paid. However, I was somewhat disappointed by the wrong technical description listed by Amazon. The blu-ray drive is definitely NOT read/write capable. It is a ROM (Read Only)!! I contacted Sony to verify it. Thought about returning it but decided it is still a good buy even without that feature. By the way, I still prefer Windows XP over Vista. This laptop did not change my opinion about it. ...more info