frugal home security system?
 
Im looking for a simple home security system. My dad has a ourdoor camera
with a motion sensor that buzzes which is very nice but I've heard the
sensors burn out quite easily. I think a camera is worthless if you dont
have some kind of signal to know something is going on outside. I also dont
care about the vcr rding. seems like a lot of hassle for something that
wouldnt help anyway. would I be better off going with a plain outdoor camera
and separate motion sensor? I was wanting to do this in front and back. Is
there any other simple ways to put alarms on windows? it seems to me motion
sensors and a camera could cover all the basics. Since our basement is
partially exposed and has some windows I was thinking about adding a lock to
the basement door just to throw another hurdle at someone trying to enter
from the basement.  And yes we have a good watchdog. its small but can hear
just about anything. I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid but I want my
wife to feel safe when I'm not home.
thanks

"Spork" <n...@no.com> wrote in message

news:FcfWb.142952$U%5.650800@attbi_s03...
- -> Im looking for a simple home security system. My dad has a ourdoor camera
> with a motion sensor that buzzes which is very nice but I've heard the
> sensors burn out quite easily. I think a camera is worthless if you dont
> have some kind of signal to know something is going on outside. I also
dont
> care about the vcr rding. seems like a lot of hassle for something
that
> wouldnt help anyway. would I be better off going with a plain outdoor
camera
> and separate motion sensor? I was wanting to do this in front and back. Is
> there any other simple ways to put alarms on windows? it seems to me
motion
> sensors and a camera could cover all the basics. Since our basement is
> partially exposed and has some windows I was thinking about adding a lock
to
> the basement door just to throw another hurdle at someone trying to enter
> from the basement.  And yes we have a good watchdog. its small but can
hear
> just about anything. I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid but I want
my
> wife to feel safe when I'm not home.
> thanks

Aside from getting a couple of bigger dogs . . . you could consider making
it *look* like your place is safeguarded . . .
Run down to Radio Shack and get a roll of that silver tape (about $8) that's
used on windows to form an electrical circuit.  They way it's used is you
glue it to the glass about 1" from the edges, hook it up to a simple relay
circuit, where the current flowing through the window tape keeps a relay in
the open position, and when someone breaks the glass and tears the tape, the
circuit opens, the relay closes, and completes another circuit that operates
an alarm.
There are probably some books available on this topic somewhere that explain
how to put together a simple, cheap, and effective alarm system.   Radio
Shack might even have some sort of a modular system available, I dunno,
haven't been there in years . . . they might be selling women's underwear
nowadays for all I know . . .
But for sure, gluing some of their window ribbon will at make you place look
like it's protected.
Justa suggestion . . .
--Tock

Bobby   Feb 10 2004, 7:54 pm     Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living "Bobby" <b...@aol.com> - Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:53:50 -0700 Local: Tues,Feb 10 2004 7:53 pm Subject: Re: frugal home security system? Reply to Author Forward Print misc.consumers.frugal-livingf7b54a97ace5d708" Individual Message Show original - -"Spork" <n...@no.com> wrote in message
news:FcfWb.142952$U%5.650800@attbi_s03...
> Im looking for a simple home security system. My dad has a ourdoor camera
> with a motion sensor that buzzes which is very nice but I've heard the
> sensors burn out quite easily. I think a camera is worthless if you dont
> have some kind of signal to know something is going on outside. I also
dont
> care about the vcr rding. seems like a lot of hassle for something
that
> wouldnt help anyway. would I be better off going with a plain outdoor
camera
> and separate motion sensor? I was wanting to do this in front and back. Is
> there any other simple ways to put alarms on windows? it seems to me
motion
> sensors and a camera could cover all the basics. Since our basement is
> partially exposed and has some windows I was thinking about adding a lock
to
> the basement door just to throw another hurdle at someone trying to enter
> from the basement.  And yes we have a good watchdog. its small but can
hear
> just about anything. I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid but I want
my
> wife to feel safe when I'm not home.
> thanks

There are lots of cheap modular security systems available. Something like
this
will probably do the job:
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA PI.dll?ViewItem&item=298635499 6

Don K   Feb 10 2004, 8:29 pm     Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living "Don K" <dk@dont_bother_me.com> - Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:29:01 -0500 Local: Tues,Feb 10 2004 8:29 pm Subject: Re: frugal home security system? Reply to Author Forward Print misc.consumers.frugal-living07245edc0c0bd2fa" Individual Message Show original - -<t...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:SGfWb.21241$Ab7.10836@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com...
> Aside from getting a couple of bigger dogs . . . you could consider making
> it *look* like your place is safeguarded . . .
> Run down to Radio Shack and get a roll of that silver tape (about $8) that's
> used on windows to form an electrical circuit.  They way it's used is you
> glue it to the glass about 1" from the edges, hook it up to a simple relay
> circuit, where the current flowing through the window tape keeps a relay in
> the open position, and when someone breaks the glass and tears the tape, the
> circuit opens, the relay closes, and completes another circuit that operates
> an alarm.
> There are probably some books available on this topic somewhere that explain
> how to put together a simple, cheap, and effective alarm system.   Radio
> Shack might even have some sort of a modular system available, I dunno,
> haven't been there in years . . . they might be selling women's underwear
> nowadays for all I know . . .
> But for sure, gluing some of their window ribbon will at make you place look
> like it's protected.

Don't just make it look protected, it's not hard to actually protect it.
If you have a basement with an exposed ceiling, it is easy to hard-wire
an alarm for all downstairs and basement windows and sliding glass doors
simply by drilling a hole and dropping wires down into the basement to
be hooked up in series.
There are little binding posts to attach wires to the foil tape and
special spring contacts to jumper across moving windows. You run
one piece of tape around each window, folding it to make corners.
It's a good idea to dab a bit of varnish over the tape so it
doesn't peel off.
The voltage drop across each window is typically about 25 millivolts
due to contact resistance and monitor current. You can maintain
and troubleshoot the system with a $15 digital voltmeter.
Magnetic door switches are used on all the doors.
I think a hard-wired system is a lot more reliable than wireless
sensors and is easy to spot problems before they occur.
Don

Williamiller9004   Feb 11 2004, 2:45 am     Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living williamiller9...@aol.com (Williamiller9004) - 11 Feb 2004 10:45:40 GMT Local: Wed,Feb 11 2004 2:45 am Subject: Re: frugal home security system? Reply to Author Forward Print misc.consumers.frugal-living4486175afc0b90b4" Individual Message Show original - ->"Spork" <n...@no.com> wrote in message
>news:FcfWb.142952$U%5.650800@attbi_s03...
>> Im looking for a simple home security system. My dad has a ourdoor camera
>> with a motion sensor that buzzes which is very nice but I've heard the
>> sensors burn out quite easily. I think a camera is worthless if you dont
>> have some kind of signal to know something is going on outside. I also
>dont
>> care about the vcr rding. seems like a lot of hassle for something
>that
>> wouldnt help anyway. would I be better off going with a plain outdoor
>camera
>> and separate motion sensor? I was wanting to do this in front and back. Is
>> there any other simple ways to put alarms on windows? it seems to me
>motion
>> sensors and a camera could cover all the basics. Since our basement is
>> partially exposed and has some windows I was thinking about adding a lock
>to
>> the basement door just to throw another hurdle at someone trying to enter
>> from the basement.  And yes we have a good watchdog. its small but can
>hear
>> just about anything. I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid but I want
>my
>> wife to feel safe when I'm not home.
>> thanks
>There are lots of cheap modular security systems available. Something like
>this
>will probably do the job:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA PI.dll?ViewItem&item=298635499 6

Is there some description of this system? the only thing i see at the link is
the ~$60 price and a diagram of where it fits into a house.

Beachcomber   Feb 11 2004, 8:28 am     Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living notr...@nospam.xyz (Beachcomber) - Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:28:45 GMT Local: Wed,Feb 11 2004 8:28 am Subject: Re: frugal home security system? Reply to Author Forward Print misc.consumers.frugal-living76f1e94c0d175a37" Individual Message Show original >just about anything. I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid but I want my
>wife to feel safe when I'm not home.

Having a security system is good, but you also want to make the
potential thieves know that you have a security system.  Best they
choose another house somewhere else...
Get a yard sign from your alarm company... Sometimes eBay sells
these...  A sign from a well known company like ADT or Protection One
is best, even if you are just faking it.  I like my signs to say
"armed response" on them.
Along with your real alarm system, consider installing fake control
panels with flashing lights at key entrances.  Most thieves are not
sophisticated and want to stay away from alarm systems.
http://www.safetycentral.com/s carsimalpan.html
Make sure your alarm system has a "panic feature" or a way to turn on
a local siren on a battery backup.  If a thief cuts your phone line,
you want the ability to make as much noise as possible.
If you are in an urban area, install timers or photocells so that your
outdoor lights come on at sunset every day.  If you are rural, either
cloak the whole place in darkness, or have motion sensing lights
pointing outward from the house, barn, garage, etc.  Have it so you
can switch these ON from the inside, if necessary. If the house is
visible from the road, a mongo-sized mercury vapor lamp in the
driveway will deter prowlers.  Be aware that this might tick off your
neighbors, however.
Post no-soliciting announcements at your front door.  Have a sign made
up that says "All activity on this premises is rded by a closed
circuit television system.  We prosecute thieves and turn over all
rded evidence to the police".
Show that there might be a big dog or dogs on the premises.  One
neighbor I know had a graphic of his Dobermans posted on a sign saying
"We can make it to the front gate in 5 seconds!".   Post "Beware of
Dog" signs amply on your property.  Display a big doghouse, water
bowl, etc.
Your house should blend in with the character of your neighborhood.
Don't display conspicuous wealth in areas where it is out of
character.  If you show that you are the richest house on the block,
chances are that you will get hit.
Every potential tradesman or service person that you let in your house
may be a security risk.  Your housekeeper may be an honest, perfectly
lovely person...  but she may also have a fugitive, violent, ex-con
boyfriend looking for new ways to support his drug habit.  Be aware.
Keep a cell phone with you at all times and on your nightstand at
night in your bedroom.  Consider installing a "Panic Room" for your
family's safety.
Keep your outside gates and sheds locked.
Finally... Encourage your neighbors to do likewise...  You don't
necessarily want to be the only house in the neighborhood with a
security system.  It might cause the crooks to ask what is it you have
that is worth protecting?.   If everyone in the neighborhood has a
security system, yard sign, etc., chances are the casual thiefs will
go to an easier neighborhood.
Beachcomber

Beachcomber   Feb 11 2004, 8:30 am     Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living notr...@nospam.xyz (Beachcomber) - Wed, 11 Feb 2004 16:30:10 GMT Local: Wed,Feb 11 2004 8:30 am Subject: Re: frugal home security system? Reply to Author Forward Print misc.consumers.frugal-livinge8b0e15c3ebf6691" Individual Message Show original - ->just about anything. I know it sounds like I'm being paranoid but I want my
>wife to feel safe when I'm not home.
Having a security system is good, but you also want to make the
potential thieves know that you have a security system.  Best they
choose another house somewhere else...
Get a yard sign from your alarm company... Sometimes eBay sells
these...  A sign from a well known company like ADT or Protection One
is best, even if you are just faking it.  I like my signs to say
"armed response" on them.
Along with your real alarm system, consider installing fake control
panels with flashing lights at key entrances.  Most thieves are not
sophisticated and want to stay away from alarm systems.
http://www.safetycentral.com/s carsimalpan.html
Make sure your alarm system has a "panic feature" or a way to turn on
a local siren on a battery backup.  If a thief cuts your phone line,
you want the ability to make as much noise as possible.
If you are in an urban area, install timers or photocells so that your
outdoor lights come on at sunset every day.  If you are rural, either
cloak the whole place in darkness, or have motion sensing lights
pointing outward from the house, barn, garage, etc.  Have it so you
can switch these ON from the inside, if necessary. If the house is
visible from the road, a mongo-sized mercury vapor lamp in the
driveway will deter prowlers.  Be aware that this might tick off your
neighbors, however.
Post no-soliciting announcements at your front door.  Have a sign made
up that says "All activity on this premises is rded by a closed
circuit television system.  We prosecute thieves and turn over all
rded evidence to the police".
Show that there might be a big dog or dogs on the premises.  One
neighbor I know had a graphic of his Dobermans posted on a sign saying
"We can make it to the front gate in 5 seconds!".   Post "Beware of
Dog" signs amply on your property.  Display a big doghouse, water
bowl, etc.
Your house should blend in with the character of your neighborhood.
Don't display conspicuous wealth in areas where it is out of
character.  If you show that you are the richest house on the block,
chances are that you will get hit.
Every potential tradesman or service person that you let in your house
may be a security risk.  Your housekeeper may be an honest, perfectly
lovely person...  but she may also have a fugitive, violent, ex-con
boyfriend looking for new ways to support his drug habit.  Be aware.
Keep a cell phone with you at all times and on your nightstand at
night in your bedroom.  Consider installing a "Panic Room" for your
family's safety.
Keep your outside gates and sheds locked.
Finally... Encourage your neighbors to do likewise...  You don't
necessarily want to be the only house in the neighborhood with a
security system.  It might cause the crooks to ask what is it you have
that is worth protecting?.   If everyone in the neighborhood has a
security system, yard sign, etc., chances are the casual thiefs will
go to an easier neighborhood.
Beachcomber


Ken Franklin   Feb 11 2004, 12:30 pm     Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living black_chihua...@netzero.net (Ken Franklin) - 11 Feb 2004 12:30:44 -0800 Local: Wed,Feb 11 2004 12:30 pm Subject: Re: frugal home security system? Reply to Author Forward Print misc.consumers.frugal-living1f7f52c8c957dd18" Individual Message Show original williamiller9...@aol.com (Williamiller9004) wrote in message <news:20040211054540.01270.00000780@mb-m13.aol.com>...
> >"Spork" <n...@no.com> wrote in message
> >news:FcfWb.142952$U%5.650800@attbi_s03...
> >> Im looking for a simple home security system. My dad has a ourdoor camera
> >> with a motion sensor that buzzes which is very nice but I've heard the
> >> sensors burn out quite easily. I think a camera is worthless if you dont
> >> have some kind of signal to know something is going on outside. I also

Stuff snipped here...
Lots of advice but the most important advice is missing.  Check with
your local police department to see what their policy on home
security/alarm systems is.
With the proliferation of do-it-yourself alarm systems, may police
departments have stopped responding to home alarms due to the large
number of false alarms.  Some cities have ordinances governing home
alarm systems.  Best to know what your environment is prior to
committing any money.
Most security consultants will tell you that before considering any
security measures like alarms or surveillance systems, you should
first physically secure the property.  That means installing adequate
locks on doors and windows and lighting the building appropriately.
Pay attention to landscaping to avoid potential hiding places near the
house.
The idea here is to make your house a more difficult place to break
into than others in the neighborhood.  A burglar is far more likely to
move on a poorly lighted house with no evidence of additional locks,
such as deadbolts, than on a properly secured house.  After taking
care of the basics you may want to consider a security system but no
security system will take the place of properly physically securing
your home.

JeffM   Feb 12 2004, 7:53 pm     Newsgroups: misc.consumers.frugal-living jef...@email.com (JeffM) - 12 Feb 2004 19:53:44 -0800 Local: Thurs,Feb 12 2004 7:53 pm Subject: Re: frugal home security system? Reply to Author Forward Print misc.consumers.frugal-livingc6afac9119ff851a" Individual Message Show original 1) Good locks. The dog is an excellent idea.
2) Sign in yard--Protected by XYZ Security Services
3) Contact on each door. (Doors are more important than windows.)
   Wireless (radio) contacts are available.
   Each requires a battery. Not frugal IMO, YMMV.
4) Passive infrared motion detector in main traffic area.
   Select its position (height) so that the dog won't trigger it.
5) A control panel with multiple user codes.
Now for the most important part:  What happens when it goes off?
Central station reporting?  Not frugal for normal people;
get a safety deposit box if you have real loot.
A big noise?  Who will hear the noise?
The best bet is good neighbors (procal agreements?)
who will look for strange activity, write down licence numbers,
and call the cops.
NOTE: Repeated false alarms sour neighbors quickly.
In  many places, cops don't even respond to residential alarms.
Bad ideas: lead foil on windows, silent alarms,
visible video systems (likely to be broken/stolen).
I used to install this stuff for a living.
 

  • business security system
  • Small size, low lux camera
  • Ro-buy a security camera!
  • SECURITY CAMERA WAR DRIVING
  • Remote recording & Management
  • Reporter looking for fake ink horror story
  • Given a security camera in password protected hardware configuration
  • Tips against home burglary
  • training on how to get into the world of CCTV and beyond
  • security camera mount question
  • Techdirt Wireless
  • Security Camera News