Which webcam for home security?
 

I am in the process of buying and installing a webcam outside my house to
rd all movement on a computer disk drive. Which webcam and software
package would you mmend for detecting movement and storing to a 80 GB
disk drive?  The second step will be to access images over the internet.  I
also need a weather tight case.
Thank you in advance for any help,
Ken Gibson

My choice will be a camera without the need to let my pc on.
Something like this :
http://www.dlink.com/products/ DigitalHome/DigitalVideo/inter netCameras/
I don't remember where I saw a camera like previous but with an internal
hard disk and a waterproof housing around $500
Hope it helps
Thierry
"Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> a 飲it dans le message news:
RxPk9.1536$Jp.102593...@newssv r13.news.prodigy.com...
- -> I am in the process of buying and installing a webcam outside my house to
> rd all movement on a computer disk drive. Which webcam and software
> package would you mmend for detecting movement and storing to a 80 GB
> disk drive?  The second step will be to access images over the internet.
I
> also need a weather tight case.
> Thank you in advance for any help,
> Ken Gibson


Ken Gibson   Sep 28 2002, 11:48 am     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> - Sat, 28 Sep 2002 18:47:08 GMT Local: Sat,Sep 28 2002 11:47 am Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automation3d61ec80a18e810c" Individual Message Show original Thierry,
This looks like a good choice!
Thanks for your help,
Ken
Thierry Parent <TPar...@stufly.com> wrote in message

news:an3nm6$242$1@wanadoo.fr...
- -> My choice will be a camera without the need to let my pc on.
> Something like this :
> http://www.dlink.com/products/ DigitalHome/DigitalVideo/inter netCameras/>
> I don't remember where I saw a camera like previous but with an internal
> hard disk and a waterproof housing around $500
> Hope it helps
> Thierry
> "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> a 飲it dans le message news:
> RxPk9.1536$Jp.102593...@newssv r13.news.prodigy.com...
> > I am in the process of buying and installing a webcam outside my house
to
> > rd all movement on a computer disk drive. Which webcam and software
> > package would you mmend for detecting movement and storing to a 80
GB
> > disk drive?  The second step will be to access images over the internet.
> I
> > also need a weather tight case.
> > Thank you in advance for any help,
> > Ken Gibson


Dan Wright   Sep 28 2002, 12:31 pm     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation "Dan Wright" <dan*munged*@star*munged*wolfsystems. com> - Sat, 28 Sep 2002 19:31:05 GMT Local: Sat,Sep 28 2002 12:31 pm Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automation47d8a05217738a7d" Individual Message Show original There is a new article on several LAN cameras up this week on Tom's Hardware
that is worth a look.
http://www.tomshardware.com/ne twork/02q3/020923/index.html
--
Dan Wright
Starwolf Systems
"Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

news:MOml9.85$md.20671818@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
- -> Thierry,
> This looks like a good choice!
> Thanks for your help,
> Ken
> Thierry Parent <TPar...@stufly.com> wrote in message
> news:an3nm6$242$1@wanadoo.fr...
> > My choice will be a camera without the need to let my pc on.
> > Something like this :
> > http://www.dlink.com/products/ DigitalHome/DigitalVideo/inter netCameras/
> > I don't remember where I saw a camera like previous but with an internal
> > hard disk and a waterproof housing around $500
> > Hope it helps
> > Thierry
> > "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> a 飲it dans le message news:
> > RxPk9.1536$Jp.102593...@newssv r13.news.prodigy.com...
> > > I am in the process of buying and installing a webcam outside my house
> to
> > > rd all movement on a computer disk drive. Which webcam and
software
> > > package would you mmend for detecting movement and storing to a 80
> GB
> > > disk drive?  The second step will be to access images over the
internet.
> > I
> > > also need a weather tight case.
> > > Thank you in advance for any help,
> > > Ken Gibson


Jim Vadek   Sep 28 2002, 7:38 pm     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation "Jim Vadek" <s...@thereforenomail.com> - Sun, 29 Sep 2002 02:38:28 GMT Local: Sat,Sep 28 2002 7:38 pm Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automationc3d624cba4a6edff" Individual Message Show original I like to have video camera's on the LAN, but I don't like LAN camera's.
The setup that I have is a Channel Plus SVM-24 modulator, with the camera's
on modulated channels, of course. For rding, ala PVR style, I have a
WinTV card in my Linux and Windows boxes. For distribution to other PC's
that do not have TV tuner cards, I've been trying SnapStream. I may use this
to push video to a roaming wireless LAN PC, but the SnapStream software is
not working too well for me yet.
Now I can see all the camera's from all TV's and all PC's in the house, and
rd to hard disk if necessary (in addition to Tivo). And, besides the
initial cost of the modulator, the cost of additional camera's is less than
standalone IP based camera's.
Well, that's my setup... I *really* need to do some wire labelling this
weekend!!
-- Jim
"Dan Wright" <dan*munged*@star*munged*wolfs ystems.com> wrote in message

news:Zrnl9.343745$5r1.15643297@bin5.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com...
- -> There is a new article on several LAN cameras up this week on Tom's
Hardware
> that is worth a look.
> http://www.tomshardware.com/ne twork/02q3/020923/index.html
> --
> Dan Wright
> Starwolf Systems
> "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> news:MOml9.85$md.20671818@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> > Thierry,
> > This looks like a good choice!
> > Thanks for your help,
> > Ken
> > Thierry Parent <TPar...@stufly.com> wrote in message
> > news:an3nm6$242$1@wanadoo.fr...
> > > My choice will be a camera without the need to let my pc on.
> > > Something like this :
http://www.dlink.com/products/ DigitalHome/DigitalVideo/inter netCameras/
> > > I don't remember where I saw a camera like previous but with an
internal
> > > hard disk and a waterproof housing around $500
> > > Hope it helps
> > > Thierry
> > > "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> a 飲it dans le message news:
> > > RxPk9.1536$Jp.102593...@newssv r13.news.prodigy.com...
> > > > I am in the process of buying and installing a webcam outside my
house
> > to
> > > > rd all movement on a computer disk drive. Which webcam and
> software
> > > > package would you mmend for detecting movement and storing to a
80
> > GB
> > > > disk drive?  The second step will be to access images over the
> internet.
> > > I
> > > > also need a weather tight case.
> > > > Thank you in advance for any help,
> > > > Ken Gibson


Ken Gibson   Sep 29 2002, 8:12 pm     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> - Mon, 30 Sep 2002 03:11:31 GMT Local: Sun,Sep 29 2002 8:11 pm Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automation7c160cb4507ec9c4" Individual Message Show original Jim,
I am currently looking at Stardot Technologies cameras that provide servers
and internet access.  I plan to use two cameras to monitor the front and
back. They sell for $500 each.  It sounds like you might have a more cost
effective solution.  I want to be able to set the movement threshold so that
I dont rd birds and plant movement but would rd a person.
I was wondering if Tivo could be used for this application.  I have been
looking at Replay TV for rding programs and digital camera images.
Thanks for your reply,
Ken
Jim Vadek <s...@thereforenomail.com> wrote in message

news:EItl9.44686$wH.5573@sccrnsc01...
- -> I like to have video camera's on the LAN, but I don't like LAN camera's.
> The setup that I have is a Channel Plus SVM-24 modulator, with the
camera's
> on modulated channels, of course. For rding, ala PVR style, I have a
> WinTV card in my Linux and Windows boxes. For distribution to other PC's
> that do not have TV tuner cards, I've been trying SnapStream. I may use
this
> to push video to a roaming wireless LAN PC, but the SnapStream software is
> not working too well for me yet.
> Now I can see all the camera's from all TV's and all PC's in the house,
and
> rd to hard disk if necessary (in addition to Tivo). And, besides the
> initial cost of the modulator, the cost of additional camera's is less
than
> standalone IP based camera's.
> Well, that's my setup... I *really* need to do some wire labelling this
> weekend!!
> -- Jim
> "Dan Wright" <dan*munged*@star*munged*wolfs ystems.com> wrote in message
> news:Zrnl9.343745$5r1.15643297@bin5.nnrp.aus1.giganews.com...
> > There is a new article on several LAN cameras up this week on Tom's
> Hardware
> > that is worth a look.
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/ne twork/02q3/020923/index.html
> > --
> > Dan Wright
> > Starwolf Systems
> > "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > news:MOml9.85$md.20671818@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...
> > > Thierry,
> > > This looks like a good choice!
> > > Thanks for your help,
> > > Ken
> > > Thierry Parent <TPar...@stufly.com> wrote in message
> > > news:an3nm6$242$1@wanadoo.fr...
> > > > My choice will be a camera without the need to let my pc on.
> > > > Something like this :
> http://www.dlink.com/products/ DigitalHome/DigitalVideo/inter netCameras/
> > > > I don't remember where I saw a camera like previous but with an
> internal
> > > > hard disk and a waterproof housing around $500
> > > > Hope it helps
> > > > Thierry
> > > > "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> a 飲it dans le message news:
> > > > RxPk9.1536$Jp.102593...@newssv r13.news.prodigy.com...
> > > > > I am in the process of buying and installing a webcam outside my
> house
> > > to
> > > > > rd all movement on a computer disk drive. Which webcam and
> > software
> > > > > package would you mmend for detecting movement and storing to
a
> 80
> > > GB
> > > > > disk drive?  The second step will be to access images over the
> > internet.
> > > > I
> > > > > also need a weather tight case.
> > > > > Thank you in advance for any help,
> > > > > Ken Gibson


Jack Ak   Sep 29 2002, 9:02 pm     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation "Jack Ak" <ak2j...@excite.com> - Mon, 30 Sep 2002 04:01:25 GMT Local: Sun,Sep 29 2002 9:01 pm Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automation5131dd4bd19ac4a9" Individual Message Show original You will have quite a challenge using TiVo or Replay.   Neither
of these rders will pause in rd mode.  Once you start
rding, it continues until stopped.  Manual start rding mode
on a Tivo requires human interaction, as does manual stop rding.
With a TiVo you will not be able to rd less than 30 minutes at a time,
without changing the channel at start of rding.
- -"Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:DhPl9.697$rM4.67954990@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> Jim,
> I am currently looking at Stardot Technologies cameras that provide servers
> and internet access.  I plan to use two cameras to monitor the front and
> back. They sell for $500 each.  It sounds like you might have a more cost
> effective solution.  I want to be able to set the movement threshold so that
> I dont rd birds and plant movement but would rd a person.
> I was wondering if Tivo could be used for this application.  I have been
> looking at Replay TV for rding programs and digital camera images.
> Thanks for your reply,
> Ken

...

john63401   Sep 30 2002, 7:20 am     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation john63...@yahoo.com - Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:19:40 GMT Local: Mon,Sep 30 2002 7:19 am Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automation4ab69a495c2744cc" Individual Message Show original >I like to have video camera's on the LAN, but I don't like LAN camera's.

How come?
Im curious

Ken Gibson   Oct 4 2002, 6:48 pm     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> - Sat, 05 Oct 2002 01:47:02 GMT Local: Fri,Oct 4 2002 6:47 pm Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automationa1272ed56156ca83" Individual Message Show original If anyone is interested, I think Stardot camera has the best product.  The
optics are better and they can be viewed over a LAN or Internet. They have a
good web site with demos using cameras from around the world.
Ken
<john63...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

news:7angpu0cmgnj0ns6ikanvbep8ur2t24vpe@4ax.com...
- -> >I like to have video camera's on the LAN, but I don't like LAN camera's.
> How come?
> Im curious


Jostein Svendsen   Oct 11 2002, 6:42 am     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation jost...@svendsen.com (Jostein Svendsen) - 11 Oct 2002 06:42:33 -0700 Local: Fri,Oct 11 2002 6:42 am Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automation711cdf2085cb46c1" Individual Message Show original I found this setup today - it seems to be the best solution since it
will only rd when motion is detected and can trigger events
(alarm, text alert, email) as specified by the user.
http://www.cctv-centre.co.uk/c ctv/multicam.htm
"The PC-based Digital CCTV surveillance system allows you to connect
cameras and display/rd simultaneously on your PC. This system uses
motion detection technology (without the need of seperate sensor's)
and may be configured to rd only when images changes are detected,
saves time and cost of continuous rding as in traditional CCTV
Systems.
The Digital CCTV system with built-in motion detection technology,
rds only moving objects break in the view port area. These video
data are digitized, captured with date and time, compressed and kept
in a PC hard disk as a file for later tracking. No more round the
clock rding on videotape like conventional surveillance systems.
It also allows remote viewing and playback by external modem, TCP/IP,
IP Multicast and IPX with our own remote view application or through
the web browser, acting just like a WebCam."
Does anyone have experience with this?
Best regards,
Jostein

Ken Gibson   Oct 11 2002, 6:48 pm     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> - Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:47:44 GMT Local: Fri,Oct 11 2002 6:47 pm Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automation78f5710fc8723bf3" Individual Message Show original Jostein,
This looks like the ideal solution.  It would be good to find someone who
has used this system.
Thanks for the link.
Ken
Jostein Svendsen <jost...@svendsen.com> wrote in message

news:ae76d4f3.0210110542.abfa8b1@posting.google.com...
- -> I found this setup today - it seems to be the best solution since it
> will only rd when motion is detected and can trigger events
> (alarm, text alert, email) as specified by the user.
> http://www.cctv-centre.co.uk/c ctv/multicam.htm
> "The PC-based Digital CCTV surveillance system allows you to connect
> cameras and display/rd simultaneously on your PC. This system uses
> motion detection technology (without the need of seperate sensor's)
> and may be configured to rd only when images changes are detected,
> saves time and cost of continuous rding as in traditional CCTV
> Systems.
> The Digital CCTV system with built-in motion detection technology,
> rds only moving objects break in the view port area. These video
> data are digitized, captured with date and time, compressed and kept
> in a PC hard disk as a file for later tracking. No more round the
> clock rding on videotape like conventional surveillance systems.
> It also allows remote viewing and playback by external modem, TCP/IP,
> IP Multicast and IPX with our own remote view application or through
> the web browser, acting just like a WebCam."
> Does anyone have experience with this?
> Best regards,
> Jostein


G. Morgan   Oct 12 2002, 1:56 am     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation gra...@hot.rr.com (G. Morgan) - Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:55:56 GMT Local: Sat,Oct 12 2002 1:55 am Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automation9fb828cb997a08d7" Individual Message Show original Hi,
What the company speaks of is not new.  What it is- the processor can track pixel changes.
The multiplexor can be set up in grids.  When a certain amount of change is noted across
the grids, an alarm is triggered.  This could be an event on the VCR, or a contact
activating anything you want, or giving priority to the particular camera, and anything
else you dream of.  
Here's how it works.  You set up a "grid"; it's visible during programming.  You set the
size of it. For example, picture a screen divided 16 times the same camera.  You now have
16 "zones" the multiplexor can distinguish a change in pixel coloration, in a set amount
of time.  Even better, the good ones "American Dynamics" for example can sub-divide each
"zone" into "sub-zones".  
What ultimately happens is, the movement between "zones" is programmable.  It can start
the VCR in real mode.  And activate a dry contact.  Also high-end systems are RS-232
RS-485 compatible, its not uncommon for a computer to control and/or rd.  If a serial
interface is used, it will certainly be logged.
Email me for specs.
 jost...@svendsen.com (Jostein Svendsen) wrote:, On 11 Oct 2002 06:42:33 -0700,
- ->I found this setup today - it seems to be the best solution since it
>will only rd when motion is detected and can trigger events
>(alarm, text alert, email) as specified by the user.
>http://www.cctv-centre.co.uk/c ctv/multicam.htm
>"The PC-based Digital CCTV surveillance system allows you to connect
>cameras and display/rd simultaneously on your PC. This system uses
>motion detection technology (without the need of seperate sensor's)
>and may be configured to rd only when images changes are detected,
>saves time and cost of continuous rding as in traditional CCTV
>Systems.
>The Digital CCTV system with built-in motion detection technology,
>rds only moving objects break in the view port area. These video
>data are digitized, captured with date and time, compressed and kept
>in a PC hard disk as a file for later tracking. No more round the
>clock rding on videotape like conventional surveillance systems.
>It also allows remote viewing and playback by external modem, TCP/IP,
>IP Multicast and IPX with our own remote view application or through
>the web browser, acting just like a WebCam."
>Does anyone have experience with this?
>Best regards,
>Jostein


Ken Gibson   Oct 12 2002, 7:12 pm     Newsgroups: comp.home.automation "Ken Gibson" <ken...@pacbell.net> - Sun, 13 Oct 2002 02:11:40 GMT Local: Sat,Oct 12 2002 7:11 pm Subject: Re: Which webcam for home security? Reply to Author Forward Print comp.home.automation5c289b64ae768284" Individual Message Show original True this technology is not new.  Pent software developed a software
package over 6 years ago that allowed you to set the sensitivity of motion
detection from a camera image.  Logitech has incorporated this feature into
their software as well.  It is surprising that more companies do not offer
the total solution that this company offers. If you can limit image
rding to motion only you can eliminate the need for a VCR and can access
the images quicker and easier from a hard drive.  In a home surviellence
system you could overwrite the data after a certain period of time and save
disk space.
Unfortunately, I don't have time to buy the components and develop the
software from scratch.  I am looking for an off-the-shelf system I can buy,
install and use.
Your message is interesting.  Thanks for the explaination of how the system
works.
Ken
G. Morgan <gra...@hot.rr.com> wrote in message

news:3da7de25.35364952@news-server.hot.rr.com...
- -> Hi,
> What the company speaks of is not new.  What it is- the processor can
track pixel changes.
> The multiplexor can be set up in grids.  When a certain amount of change
is noted across
> the grids, an alarm is triggered.  This could be an event on the VCR, or a
contact
> activating anything you want, or giving priority to the particular camera,
and anything
> else you dream of.
> Here's how it works.  You set up a "grid"; it's visible during
programming.  You set the
> size of it. For example, picture a screen divided 16 times the same
camera.  You now have
> 16 "zones" the multiplexor can distinguish a change in pixel coloration,
in a set amount
> of time.  Even better, the good ones "American Dynamics" for example can
sub-divide each
> "zone" into "sub-zones".
> What ultimately happens is, the movement between "zones" is programmable.
It can start
> the VCR in real mode.  And activate a dry contact.  Also high-end systems
are RS-232
> RS-485 compatible, its not uncommon for a computer to control and/or
rd.  If a serial
> interface is used, it will certainly be logged.
> Email me for specs.
>  jost...@svendsen.com (Jostein Svendsen) wrote:, On 11 Oct 2002
06:42:33 -0700,
> >I found this setup today - it seems to be the best solution since it
> >will only rd when motion is detected and can trigger events
> >(alarm, text alert, email) as specified by the user.
> >http://www.cctv-centre.co.uk/c ctv/multicam.htm
> >"The PC-based Digital CCTV surveillance system allows you to connect
> >cameras and display/rd simultaneously on your PC. This system uses
> >motion detection technology (without the need of seperate sensor's)
> >and may be configured to rd only when images changes are detected,
> >saves time and cost of continuous rding as in traditional CCTV
> >Systems.
> >The Digital CCTV system with built-in motion detection technology,
> >rds only moving objects break in the view port area. These video
> >data are digitized, captured with date and time, compressed and kept
> >in a PC hard disk as a file for later tracking. No more round the
> >clock rding on videotape like conventional surveillance systems.
> >It also allows remote viewing and playback by external modem, TCP/IP,
> >IP Multicast and IPX with our own remote view application or through
> >the web browser, acting just like a WebCam."
> >Does anyone have experience with this?
> >Best regards,
> >Jostein
 

  • Small size, low lux camera
  • X10 wireless cameras and video source question
  • business security system
  • Reporter looking for fake ink horror story
  • Source: Remington security camera
  • Home Security Measures?
  • viewing streaming video from company
  • Trouble identifying security camera type
  • Protective Coloration, "SECURITY" jackets, and Fake ...
  • Fake evacuations
  • Discreet cameras or custom hides
  • Compare Security Camera Products