The holidays are a busy time of the year. Many of us are on the go shopping, traveling and celebrating with family and friends. It's very easy to become overwhelmed and not be as safety conscious as we would normally be. Many people are gone from their homes during the holidays. Here are some hints to keep burglars from "helping themselves" at your home when you're gone for an evening or an extended period of time.
- Keep valuables and gifts out of sight.
- Always lock all doors and all windows.
- Turn on outside lights.
- Keep sidewalks and driveways free of snow.
- Cut up cartons for TVs, computers, stereos, etc. Tie the pieces together with identifying labels on the inside before putting them out for trash pickup.
- Have inside lights and a radio or TV on timers.
- Stop all mail and paper deliveries or arrange for a trusted neighbor to pick them up daily.
- Let someone know where you are and when you are expected to return.
- When returning home, have your keys in hand to quickly unlock the door.
- If you suspect someone has been in the house, leave immediately and call 911 from a cell phone or a neighbor's house.