The following checklist provided by ADT and designed to help you improve security in your home.
Around your house...
- Install a wide-angle peep hole.
- Entrance doors should have a solid core.
- Doors should fit tightly into door jambs and strike plates must be secure.
- If hinge pins are outside, they should be non-removable.
- When closed, sliding doors need a metal bar to fill the inside track.
- Locks on the inside of the door should be at least 40 inches from glass.
- Use deadbolt locks that extend at least 1 inch into the strike plate.
- Locks should be replaced after you take possession of your new home.
- Double hung windows should be pinned.
- Metal windows need a lock or metal bar in addition to a catch.
- Basement windows should be Plexiglass or have security bars.
- Windows left open for ventilation should be secured.
- Curtains or blinds should fully cover windows.
- Air conditioners should be secured from the inside.
- Keep shrubs cut below window level.
- Your house number should be easily visible from the street.
- Make sure front and back doorways are well lit or spot lit.
- Keep bicycles, lawn mowers, and other gear inside and out of sight.
- Join Neighbourhood Watch and Operation Identification, and display the decals on your front and back doors.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked when not in use.
- Remove vehicle keys and lock vehicles in the garage.
- Have a light inside the garage.
Around your apartment...
- Open the lobby door only for people you know. Unknown or suspicious persons should be reported to the building superintendent.
- Use your initials and last name to identify yourself on the lobby list.
- When moving in, have the superintendent change the locks.
- If you are out, arrange for deliveries to be received by the building superintendent or a neighbour.
- Check the elevator before you enter it and stay near the control panel.
- Do not go into laundry rooms alone.
- Check your car before entering it.
- Keep your car locked and remove any valuable portable items.
- Do not store valuable items in an apartment locker.
- Alarms monitored 24 hours by a Central Alarm Station service are recommended and may qualify for an insurance premium discount.
- Alarms should protect the full perimeter of your residence.
While on vacation...
- Stop delivered items such as newspaper subscriptions.
- Store valuables in a safety deposit box.
- Use timers to automatically turn lights on and off.
- Have a neighbour or friend pick up hand bills and mail.
- Arrange to have snow shovelled and the grass cut.
Your personal security...
- Do not open the door until you confirm the person's identity.
- If somebody asks to use your phone, have them wait outside while you make the call for them.
- Do not give out personal information to telephone solicitors.
- If you arrive home and suspect a break-in, leave and call the police.
- Never indicate that you're not home on your telephone answering machine.
- If you lose your keys, change your locks. Your CGU policy has coverage assistance to replace lost/stolen keys.
And the most important -- Contact ADT for information on a security system for your home today!
When you are protected by ADT, you are protected by the largest and oldest electronic security company in the nation.
Throughout its 128-year history, ADT has led the way in the innovation of security services, from the simple Call Boxes of the early 1900's to the interactive video surveillance of the year 2000.
And this experience is recognized.ADT helps protect most of America's Fortune 500 companies and financial institutions. It also has the largest residential customer base in the United States.
Why Choose a Home Security System Monitored by ADT?
"System for Life" Guarantee - The "System for Life" Guarantee provides for the installation of a free* standard security system if you move after two years of installation while protected by ADT.**
Theft Protection Guarantee - The Theft Protection Guarantee pays your insurance deductible (up to $500.00) in the event of a burglary while protected by ADT.**
Homeowners Insurance Guarantee - The Homeowners Insurance Guarantee can help you save up to 20% on your homeowners insurance.**
**Certain restrictions apply on each guarantee.